Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
The much- maligned Barton has prominent signs in public areas near Tower, to the effect "high Vis mandatory, Airside. There is robust fencing separating the two areas and a gate with a keypad-lock is directly opposite Tower, opening to the hangars apron and fuelling.
many "low-vis" bods wandering around, Never seen any being challenged! (Pragmatism and common-sense in action) :D
By Gertie
Spooky wrote:Only a hi-vis is required...might turn up in just a hi-vis thong and vest :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

There was rumoured to be a demo by Oxford students against the "you must wear gowns to exams" rule some decades ago. IIRC they wore pyjamas and gowns rather than nothing and gowns.
By kanga
Gertie wrote:..
There was rumoured to be a demo by Oxford students against the "you must wear gowns to exams" rule some decades ago. IIRC they wore pyjamas and gowns rather than nothing and gowns.

Oxford certainly used to be full 'sub-fusc' for exams. That meant gown, white top, black tie, black tousers or skirt. In the '60s I heard of a girl who turned up in very skimpy black hotpants instead of a skirt, to see if the Proctor would challenge her; he is said to have muttered "should be compulsory" and waved her through. :)

At Cambridge when I was an undergraduate, all Colleges (except the inevitably more radical King's) still made gowns compulsory for Matriculation ceremonies, for in-College Tutorials, for Hall, and for University exams; but that was a College, not a University, rule, so Kingsmen were not excluded. Gowns were required for Degree ceremonies.

I expect and hope that both are more relaxed these days, although I also expect that Degree ceremonies are as formally dressed as ever. At Cambridge in my day it was already in English, but at Oxford for all my children it was still in Latin :thumright:

</drift>

.. back to Staverton: hearsay at JAM from someone 'who should know' was that closure of 04/22 is 'for resurfacing' not 'because it needs resurfacing which will not happen'. In particular, 04/22 Grass is to be kept, although with demise of Tiger with their Stampes it is now used much less. I hope that's correct, although it does not now affect me. I have known all 3 runways to be in use simultaneously (bigger and faster on 27, lighter on 22 because SW-ly wind, helicopters and autogyros on 18), and the marvellous controllers coping calmly :thumright: I'm sure this makes for a better educational experience for the local student ATCOs compared to those at Swanwick, even though they are presumably training to an idential (EASA :roll: ) qualification.

Oh, and grass Twy R and grass apron for JAM are still available :) As, I assume, is the former Flying Shack grass apron off Twy F

MP3 will, of course, be a very hard act to follow .. :salut:
By Gertie
kanga wrote:At Cambridge when I was an undergraduate, all Colleges (except the inevitably more radical King's) still made gowns compulsory for Matriculation ceremonies, for in-College Tutorials, for Hall, and for University exams; but that was a College, not a University, rule, so Kingsmen were not excluded. Gowns were required for Degree ceremonies.

I expect and hope that both are more relaxed these days, although I also expect that Degree ceremonies are as formally dressed as ever. At Cambridge in my day it was already in English, but at Oxford for all my children it was still in Latin :thumright:

Cambridge still requires gowns for degree ceremonies. And they are still partially in Latin - each college has to supply a praelector, some of whom are boring and mispronounce the Latin whilst reading from a script, and others of whom can actually speak the language and make up Latin jokes as they go along.

Colleges can require gowns for whatever they like. When I go to dinner at my wife's college I don't have to wear a gown, being a guest, but at my own college I ought to. However most dons keep their gowns on hooks in the gents changing room, and you just nick one. It is however polite to (a) nick one belonging to someone who isn't actually dining that night, having checked the list first, and (b) put it back on the hook you nicked it from, so that the owner has some chance of finding it again.
kanga, patowalker, Stu B liked this
Cambridge allowed undergraduates to dispense with gowns while walking/cycling the streets in 1964, following, increasing in severity from 1959 onwards, unprovoked attacks by local yobs coming out of pubs with a skinful (remember the Criterion/).

It usually came to a climax every Guy Fawkes night with whole sale fighting in the market square and elsewhere late 50s.

When I was an undergraduate (Sidney Sussex 1964-67) we were banned from the town centre on November 5th.

Gowns (short undergraduate gowns) were compulsory for dining in hall but not for breakfast or lunch.

Long gowns were compulsory for degree ceremonies and are still compulsory if one exercises as a Cantab graduate the right to dine as a guest of the Master twice a term.

Peter
kanga liked this
PeteSpencer wrote:Long gowns were compulsory for degree ceremonies and are still compulsory if one exercises as a Cantab graduate the right to dine as a guest of the Master twice a term.

I'm having dinner with my Master this coming week. But it's a piss-up in the House of Lords, and I've actually paid money for a ticket, so, whilst I accept the imposition of a dress code if I'm getting a free meal, on this occasion I can wear what I like. :D
kanga liked this
^^^^^^^^ There's posh ejukashun for you! Pays money for a ticket for a free meal :twisted:
Now, about this nice Thames-side historic office-block I've got for sale, complete with chiming -clock tower
It is currently being renovated for the lucky buyer!. :twisted:
'tis a fair point.

I suppose my real 'twitch' was with the 'we're doomed' flavour of the whole message.

As has been said many times, MP3 is/was Premier League and thus the new team has a serious hurdle to clear if they are going to even match him. So far it seems that the latest aerodrome fuhrer is not, yet, getting close. But then most other aerodromes and their managements don't either, but they keep going and we keep going there too, without much shouting, in most cases. :)
kanga liked this
I won’t bother with the news next time..........the fact is that hi-vis is going to be required where it wasn’t and one of the runways will not be reopened. The other might but there is currently no money, no plan and no plan to find the money.
The handling doesn’t bother me either - but escalation of costs eventually affects everyone (by some means or other).