Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
From next month Gloucestershire will require hi vis jackets, I hear. Add that to the, now, mandatory handling and the closure of the two smaller runways and we have to wonder if there is a future in GA for the airport.
Last edited by Flyingfemme on Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Waveflyer
Haven’t heard about the high viz but under the present regime I am not surprised.

The wheels have definitely come off at Gloucestershire. I’m afraid when you are at the top there is only one way to go and they are exemplifying that rule.

FF, do the shadows have a cunning plan?
By rf3flyer
Flyingfemme wrote:... we have to wonder if there is a future in GA for the airport.

From what you write, it doesn't seem likely to me, certainly in the practical sense of people deciding to just give it a miss.
By Sir Morley Steven
I thought it was always mandatory to wear hi vis there. I do know it is quite difficult to book in a training approach but had no idea it’s reputation was suffering.

FF. be careful about the thread title. Rob L is about! :wink:
By Waveflyer
rf3flyer wrote:
Flyingfemme wrote:... we have to wonder if there is a future in GA for the airport.

From what you write, it doesn't seem likely to me, certainly in the practical sense of people deciding to just give it a miss.

Is it so unlikely, there is a defining moment when the decline starts.

Plenty of successful commercial enterprises, high street shops and political parties have hit the buffers because somebody had a good idea.

An airport that needs a huge infrastructure financial investment in the middle of a town has an easy escape route if its wobbling.

Still probably/hopefully unlikely but time will tell.

SMS. No high viz for about 10 years.
By skydriller
Oh great....the high viz "safety" idea... :roll:

I can think of very few places where GA are allowed to park on any aerodrome or airport where wearing Hi-Vis vests would actually be a significant factor in keeping the wearer safe. Even at "big" airports, GA is usually over in a corner somewhere out of the way of the reason for needing them, ie multiple ground vehicles tearing about the place.

There is of course the slightly spurious argument that by wearing a HiViz vest you are obviously "allowed to be there" and not a lost pax or dare I say it, "up to no good"...

Regards, SD..
By Shoestring Flyer
I am more concerned about the Mandatory handling comment than the small issue of Hi-Viz.
Website currently says mandatory over 3T.
FF..Are you saying Mandatory Handling for all from next month?...Charges please if you know them?
By PaulB
Shoestring Flyer wrote:I am more concerend about the Mandatory handling than the small issue of Hi-Viz.

Indeed. I’m gobsmacked[1] that we’re getting into a lather about a yellow tabard, when there’s talk of handling charges and runway closures.

[1] I’m not really. :?
By Flyingfemme
Shoestring Flyer wrote:More details please? Website currently not showing these changes.

The handling came in almost a year ago for aircraft over 3 tons. Based aircraft are not affected.
The hi-vis was only announced at an airport meeting this week - first we’d heard of it as well.
The two cross runways have been closed for a while now and there are no plans to fix the problems and re-open them. But the grass runway remains open for use............
Pilot controlled lighting is still being discussed but the management are concerned about aircraft that are “too fast” undertaking indemnity operations in the dark :?
They’ve gone the way of all the rest and think that a couple of jets can pay for everything while the rest of GA doesn’t matter.
By Iceman
Why are they closing two perfectly good runways ? Why are they introducing compulsory handling ? Neither makes sense at a busy GA airport. Or is this due to some inept management delusional about making it another 'biz jet' airport ?

Iceman 8)
By Flyingfemme
Shoestring Flyer wrote:I am more concerned about the Mandatory handling comment than the small issue of Hi-Viz.
Website currently says mandatory over 3T.
FF..Are you saying Mandatory Handling for all from next month?...Charges please if you know them?

No, not for all. But 3 tons isn’t actually very big.
By Flyingfemme
Iceman wrote:Why are they closing two perfectly good runways ? Why are they introducing compulsory handling ? Neither makes sense at a busy GA airport. Or is this due to some inept management delusional about making it another 'biz jet' airport ?

Iceman 8)

They’ve already closed the runways because the surface is breaking up............some based operators say they are OK with the surface but the management have decided. This is causing problems for the training organisations who cannot fly/earn money when the crosswinds are high.
The handling came in at the start of 2019 - I don’t know how many operators are falling into the weight band because most of the big jets and AOC flights were being handled anyway - voluntarily.
The new management and board have little practical GA experience between them and we are drowning in a sea of TLAs and management speak.
Iceman liked this
By James Chan
The best way to fight the hi-vis virus is for all pilots to vow to never wear one, ever.
Trent772, Kemble Pitts, defcribed and 3 others liked this
By Bathman
Flyingfemme wrote:They’ve gone the way of all the rest and think that a couple of jets can pay for everything while the rest of GA doesn’t matter.

On the grounds that's what every airfield of any substance seems to be doing these days. Perhaps its the only way it can make a profit.

Does Staverton really need two 1000 meter crosswind runways? I would think that just one of 500 meters would keep all the flight training organisations happy.

In fact why not just build over everything north of 27/09
TheDealer liked this