Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By marioair
Bathman wrote:Correct.

If you haven't got CPL TK then you are "LAPL only". The CRI allows you to teach for class ratings and hour with instructor to any type of licence holder (stanby for incoming debate)

Also a CRI doesn't need any form of supervision so it does give you some operating flexibility

I've applied for some bursary's to do the FI course. It's a pain in the a** as they all stipulate having a CPL TK as a pre-req. I dont understand why we are making it hard given the supposed instructor shortage!

I think you're saying I could do the FI course without the CPL TK, and get the CRI added as part of the CI course. At some latter date I could do the CPL TK and that would then remove the LAPL only restriction

If the bursary pre-req wasnt an issue then I'd do it that way
Dave W liked this
By NickA
WelshRichy wrote:
Bathman wrote:If you do the FI course and you meet the requirements for the cRI then off the back of the FI course you can apply and get issued with an FI rating and a CRI rating.

You do of course have to pay the usual CAA fee.

Such qualifications offer some advantages over a plain vanilla FI with out CPL TK.

That is quite interesting and quick question if you don't mind...

Would you know if the ATO would require specific approval for the CRI(SE) course in addition to the FI course in order to have a CRI added to the licence on the basis of the FI(R) - assuming I pass? The ATO I am booked into has approval for the FIC but not the CRI course.

Also, would I need to notify the Examiner that the AoC will also be for the CRI as well as FI? Or do the CAA just issue the CRI on the basis of the FI course completion as I presume we have covered everything? Assuming I pay the additional fee due...

Tractor Boy, of this parish, recently got a CRI after passing FIC. I believe it was just a box tick and additional payment and form. The ATO also offered CRI courses but I don't think that was relevant.
WelshRichy liked this
By Longfinal
marioair wrote:
Bathman wrote:Correct.

If you haven't got CPL TK then you are "LAPL only". The CRI allows you to teach for class ratings and hour with instructor to any type of licence holder (stanby for incoming debate)

Also a CRI doesn't need any form of supervision so it does give you some operating flexibility

I've applied for some bursary's to do the FI course. It's a pain in the a** as they all stipulate having a CPL TK as a pre-req. I dont understand why we are making it hard given the supposed instructor shortage!

The instructor shortage isn’t for LAPLs and CRI stuff, it’s for PPL and beyond. That’s probably why the bursary stipulates CPL TK.
By marioair
Fair point

But if you’re short oF cash to do an FI course you’re hardly going to spend £1000-1500 doing the CPL TK in the hope you get a bursary!
By NDB_hold
That you don’t have to take a 'course of study' - you can self-study meaning no face to face days.

As long as all you want is FI. If you want a CPL you still have to.
By WelshRichy
There aren’t as far as I am aware specific CPL theory books available without being signed up to an ATO. Plenty of ATPL material but you’d need to go through the LO’s and work out what you can miss out. Mainly IFR specific material... but even then Holding is included within CPL Air Law LO’s... yup go figure. :D

It may be worthwhile contacting CAPT and ask if they’d be willing to sell you the course written material for their three modules without enrolling onto the course, it is supplied in PDF form and is CPL specific. As a side note their subject progress tests are currently available to anyone with a browser and a Flash. Not sure if he will do this but it’s worth an ask... ? Nothing to loose...

Worst case scenario you could enrol onto the course but don’t actually progress with it, then no need to shell out a few hundred pounds on brush up. I think the basic course is £495 now.

I presume you are looking at the scholarships provided by HCAP?
By marioair
I’ve been looking at various scholarships the issue is timing.
HCAP won’t don’t award until April.
For various scholarships for the flying portions they interview in May so no way i would have time to do the theory in a month - in terms of scheduling exams
By WelshRichy
There is always next year as I think they run scholarships every year? No need to rush, the exams took me nine months from start to finish, completing them by end of September. That was working full time and if you can study full time then it is possible to do them a lot quicker but as you say a month is probably not feasible. If you start now, you’d be finished by the end of the year in readiness for the next round of applications?