Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By WelshRichy
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
NDB_hold wrote:@JonnyS how is it going? Just sent him an email. As I now have no other use for my flying fund, I just might make a start on CPL TK...

Snap! But I’ve signed up for the CB-IR theory course. In hindsight I should have gone for the ATPL exams last year instead of CPL but I wasn’t intending on obtaining an ME-IR. However, recent developments at work (unrelated to Covid-19) has changed my intentions (with my wife’s blessing).
By JonnyS
NDB_hold wrote:@JonnyS how is it going? Just sent him an email. As I now have no other use for my flying fund, I just might make a start on CPL TK...

@NDB_hold - Good thanks, I'm still reading through the content as a book first to have a gentle introduction to it all, on Phil's advice. I will then start proper 'studying'.

I've had a crazy few weeks at work which as rather distracted me, unfortunately, having gone through Human Factors quite quickly. Although now, with no Air Tattoo in July, I should have a bit more time to focus on studying! I have to say I'm finding the books quite easy to read and the subjects are presented well and I am enjoying the learning. Realistically, I'm aiming for a year to completion.
By NDB_hold
I’ve had a reply from Phil offering me a very good deal on PDF only versions of the books, which I will be happily accepting when I can get to a computer to send the money.

Much reading to do...
By MichaelP
Is there anywhere the syllabus for CPL groundschool study subjects is published?

I think I found it:

https://www.easa.europa.eu/sites/defaul ... -008-R.pdf

I’ll read through this.
My concern would be turbine knowledge, and jet performance which I sometimes touch on with my students, but which I might be lacking.
Have to think back to the courses I wrote in Airbus 321 performance... Drift down calculation following engine failure, flex takeoff performance etc, relevant to teaching pilots to fly Cessna 152s.
By NDB_hold
Quick update: I’m reading through the subjects and taking the progress tests, and have completed Human Factors so far. Currently doing AGK and finding that the only things I’m learning are about airliners. (And a lot of what I learned about HF was how to manage airline safety.)

Rather proves the point about CPL TK being a bit pointless for PPL FIs...
marioair, JonnyS liked this
By Paul_Sengupta
When ICAO stipulated that you needed CPL knowledge to be an FI, I'm pretty sure they meant something the FAA CPL (look at the syllabus for that one, or maybe a past paper), not the one we have in Europe.
By marioair
i'm sure when ICAO created ICAO they meant to have ICAO CPL TK not FAA CPL TK and CAA CPL TK and so on and so on and so
By NDB_hold
OK, so I've read through the books supplied by Caledonian and I want to make a plan to attack the exams.

Have I missed it, or have the CAA not yet announced any plan to resume exams? If you look at https://www.caa.co.uk/Commercial-indust ... imetables/ the two nearest to me:

Oxford - cancelled up to and including the late June session 'due to CAE being unable to facilitate UKCAA examinations' (no idea why, staffing?)
    Luton - cancelled up to and including last week's June session 'due to UK Government Covid-19 restrictions'
    Bristol and Coventry have eerily similar wording
which leaves me none the wiser as to when they might restart.

I've applied for an online account so I'll see what transpires.

Also, as I'm doing this by self-study for purposes of an FI rating only, presumably I don't need a recommendation from an ATO to be allowed to take the exams...?
By marioair
AFAIK yes you need to have done it through and ATO and need or have done the ground school lessons with them (and paid $$$$$)
By JJMurphy
NDB_hold wrote:.....

Oxford - cancelled up to and including the late June session 'due to CAE being unable to facilitate UKCAA examinations' (no idea why, staffing?)
    Luton - cancelled up to and including last week's June session 'due to UK Government Covid-19 restrictions'
    Bristol and Coventry have eerily similar wording
which leaves me none the wiser as to when they might restart.

When I looked last (Friday) then availability for booking exams seems to be open from mid-July onwards. Personally I'm waiting a little longer before I book for the remaining ones I've to do.
By marioair
Good to know. So the cost difference is about £1000 (ATO fee).
If you did do the ATO route, How long is the TK valid for if you did want to do the practical elements later
By WelshRichy
marioair wrote:Good to know. So the cost difference is about £1000 (ATO fee).
If you did do the ATO route, How long is the TK valid for if you did want to do the practical elements later

If you do go through an ATO to go though the CPL exams then they are valid for three years for the issue of a CPL from when you pass the last exam.

For an FI course they are valid forever, which is just as well as it is nearly a year since I passed the exam and this years FIC is cancelled for obvious reasons.
Last edited by WelshRichy on Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.
NDB_hold liked this