Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Wide-Body
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
FlarePath wrote:
Now it is confirmed as a responsibility, what charge should this attract.

The same as the charge for signing the log book. :roll:

Log books fine. So now you are saying the examiners should do work for nothing?

Just curious at what folks think they should pay for an examiners time. Before we go to attack dog mode I don’t charge for log book signing. However as we are now “definitely responsible” for the care of other people’s “reputations” . Have the goalpost changed in the use of the word “reputations” (my opinion).

I personally won’t charge as I don’t need the tax liability, however there are a lot of guys out there who are struggling financially. Do they not deserve to be able to recuperate the cost of maintaining their qualification.
TLRippon liked this
By skydriller
Wide-Body wrote:Just curious at what folks think they should pay for an examiners time.

Well, every time Ive had a revalidation signed off and Ive not just specifically flown with the CRI/examiner (ie he is not paid that way) Ive always asked "So, how much do I owe you..." and so far Ive always had the reply "...dont worry about that".

I seem to recall that Ive always countered by either offering a bite to eat or a drink or something wherever we have met up - sometimes accepted, sometimes not. This last time I brought over a bottle of local Bordeaux for the gentleman in question!!
It just seems the right thing to do for taking their time to help me out.

Regards, SD..
townleyc liked this
Wide-Body wrote:Now it is confirmed as a responsibility, what charge should this attract.

Do people really do enough of these to create a load of invoices and go to the bank with the resulting cheques. (Assuming a credit card wouldn't cut it?)
By Wide-Body
Hi FP,

Instructors using 945 privileges yes. But as an examiner I probably do approx 30+ a year reveals by experience. Now I am now responsible for their “reputation” I don’t charge however with the days of increasing responsibility’s and liabilities I would not be surprised if many start to do so. The liability insurance alone is hundreds of pounds per year.
David Wood, TLRippon, AndyR liked this
Tbh I don’t see why examiners need to be involved in this. It’s just a paperwork exercise that could be completed at the appropriate time by the FCL.945 FI, who as stated above has already been paid.

What happens for non-EASA (ie U.K. licences)? Are they like the LAPL with rolling validity and if not can an FI revalidate those?
By skydriller
PaulB wrote:What happens for non-EASA (ie U.K. licences)? Are they like the LAPL with rolling validity and if not can an FI revalidate those?

skydriller wrote:After some delays on my part, the other day a very nice Examiner met up with me whilst I was headed offshore, I'd pre-filled the 1119E & printed it. After checking my logbook, we signed it, I said Id send it off to the CAA after my trip, and he kindly offered to scan & send to the CAA right there and then. He then signed the ratings page....UK ICAO PPL rating revalidation done.

Same as EASA PPL...revalidation every 2 years.
As of right now the CAA say that my hour instruction +12hrs/yr can be with any EASA instructor/aeroplane. Next year who knows...?? :roll:

Regards, SD..
Paul_Sengupta wrote:
chrisbl wrote:Having an office down the road from the CAA's then Kingsway Office, i would just popped up to their mail-room with my envelope and have them put in the internal mail to Gatwick.

I once gave a form in a pre-addressed envelope into the mail room at Kingsway, and it got lost somewhere between there and upstairs!

So?
Revalidation by experience for a PPL does not mean that the forms can be sent in 14 days after the flight with instructor. I’ve had PPL’s have a flight with me a couple of days into their second year and wait until months later to get me to sign their forms. This way round is more common than a last minute flight as soon as the 11th hour is in the bag, just before revalidation is required so 14 days after the flight would be the exception.
flybymike liked this
By Irv Lee
I notice the commercial pilots who have SOLI'd (changed state of licence) in the past 2 years are beginning to emerge looking for sep action. 3 in a month, zero previously.
@Paul_Sengupta how did you know they hadn't got the form (to the right place),?
@skydriller was it a uk guy signed the uk sep?