Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Murgatroyd
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Concrete base is pretty much the norm and this is a given, as that will need to be constructed ourselves as this will be an extension to existing apron, but what happens above that offers a few select options.
1. Large traditional steel frame with pre-formed cladding: Insulated or uninsulated?
2. Spaceframe trellis style light weight framing and fabric cover: insulated or not?
3: Traditional build of steel, bricks and mortar highly unlikely due to cost
4: Curved roof or apex
5: Most efficient dimensions to accommodate typically 4x172/PA28 (not allowing for any wing overlap)

Suggestions for good practice or recommended suppliers welcomed. I've seen several, but when it comes to being part of a group that wishes to construct their own, the economies need to be right and I'm already tempted to propose the trellis, curved roof and single skin variant, maybe even three sided version until we can afford a door/curtain. :lol:
Anybody really jump out for this style of project? or even for the supply of the 'standard sized' hangars, as we'll be happy to construct the base to suit. thanks
By Lockhaven
When getting quotes don't mention the words aircraft hangar, the price will increase three fold.

Is it to be constructed on a private strip or an established airport ?

If a private strip then use a steel frame with pre-formed cladding agricultural building, the price is dramatically different.
By Pete L
Found the wicking coating on the corrugated roof panels on my hanger very effective - much dryer than a polytunnel.
By Cessna571
Seething have a big turntable in their hangar which means a single pilot turns the turntable and wheels his plane out.

Having seen it for the first time last week, I’d seriously consider it if I were you, it’s how all hangars should be.

Worth contacting them, they are very proud of it.
Sooty25 liked this
By Murgatroyd
Hi, it's an established airport, so chances are it'll be airside construction: small chance the boundary fence will move on a temporary basis: but I'm thinking I don't like this any: nor are the airport likely to agree to another alternate suggestion to the original plan.

I see the McGregor Group do some nice extendable options: no costs on line. It's likely that we will find a supplier prior to putting a spade in the ground and constructing around a standard off-the-shelf arrangement, as opposed to bespoke.

I'll look into Seething: thanks
By Flyingfemme
If you are going for no overlap, would it be possible to have four separate units? Better from a security/hangar rash point of view and under the business rates size/value in case that becomes a factor.
By riverrock
Murgatroyd wrote:Hi, it's an established airport, so chances are it'll be airside construction: small chance the boundary fence will move on a temporary basis: but I'm thinking I don't like this any: nor are the airport likely to agree to another alternate suggestion to the original plan.

I see the McGregor Group do some nice extendable options: no costs on line. It's likely that we will find a supplier prior to putting a spade in the ground and constructing around a standard off-the-shelf arrangement, as opposed to bespoke.

I'll look into Seething: thanks

Various things you can customise with McGregor - hence no online costs. I'd recommend at least a transparent stripe in the roof. They have various contractors who have put up their hangers in the past, some of whom will let you help with construction. We now have 4 as part of our club in different varieties (wider, taller). We now know that the original contractor on the first two put some things in backwards but they are still up. We have simple doors on ours which aren't the best (no bottom rail, so if wind blows towards them, they will blow towards aircraft inside, and we have had to repair them).
They have survived Scottish gale force wind with no issues for at least 4 years now.
By Rob P
Charliesixtysix wrote:Talk to Michelle at Kit Buildings Direct.

They Supplied and erected the latest hangar at Tollerton and I believe The Farmer had a kit for self build from them too.

https://www.kitbuildingsdirect.co.uk/

The clue might be here? ^^^^^^^^^

Rob P
TheFarmer, gaznav, Lockhaven liked this
By Sooty25
This isn't Seethings turntable, but it is a similar idea

By Murgatroyd
I found an old article from 2006 about seething. Those turntables are excellent. Great food for thought.
That would be an afterthought for our project, but there are some good examples above that I shall explore. :thumleft:
By kanga
Flyer, Jan 2020, pp38ff, "Build your own hangar", by a certain Ed Hicks (who ? :) ), may be of interest .. :wink: .. about a new hangar on a private farm strip; lots of photos from during construction. It is supplemented by insets from companies called Aerosheds and Jewers Doors; and references to previous Forum items.
gaznav liked this