Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
Skybolt1 wrote:I wonder whether the CAA will be able to extend the PMD exemption? It's obviously not going to be possible to arrange a EASA-proof medical for the next while. Nor use it for a bit.

Well the DoT have extended all MOT's for cars, light vans and motorcycles due after 29 March 2020 by six months so surely the CAA can do something regarding medicals.
Last edited by romille on Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The revocation of the PMD is not the doing of the CAA it is EASA who told the CAA that they would not grant a further exemption to the requirement to hold an EASA Medical to fly EASA aeroplanes.

You can use a PMD to validate a licence but only to fly non-EASA aeroplanes.
FlarePath wrote:Lets keep it simple, the CAA requests/advises EASA in line with all other transport depts regarding expiring licences/medicals that the PMD is as vital a Medical to a lot of people in the UK as it is to an ATPL's Class 1.

EASA lives in the real world, they abolished the slot occupation requirement weeks ago and have issued something very pragmatic for commercial operations and I am confident, knowing those who are working on this, that there will in all likelihood something useful for recreational flying, notably who have been flying on EASA tickets.

I hope they will also come up with something for those who have been flying on a PMD.

When I know more I will let you all know.
Skybolt1, PaulB, JAFO liked this
I understand the background.

I also did not vote for Brexit.

That said, I still find it hard to fully engage with the concept of EASA, as opposed to the CAA, determining who is allowed to fly what, recreationally, within a particular nation’s airspace and especially when said aircraft carry that nation’s registration.

Or, was a “Euro”registration and the disbanding of national authorities on the cards as well, and did I miss that particular detail?