Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
Recently came across Open Cockpit. WWI, Arthur Gould Lee who went on to be an Air Vice Marshall IIRC. Excellent

Also by chance the middle volume of 'The Bandy Papers' Trilogy, set around WWI and raises a chuckle or two.
JAFO liked this
By JAFO
PA28 wrote:Talk down/Deadweight/Turn Killer all good. I don't read much fiction but I read these in 3 days each. Shame Brian Lecomber is no longer with us.

Shame I could only give you 1 like for that. I consider myself massively lucky to have met Brian a handful of times, to have seen him fly dozens of times and to have read a lot of his writing. He never once seemed to write anything I didn't enjoy.

And something he did even better than writing.

PA28 liked this
By G-JWTP
A couple of books here that I cannot see on the list.

TAB published a series of ' Practical flying ' books. These are a bit dated now but are a good background read especially the one titled ' Ocean Flying' written by Louise Sacchi which is a bit of a goldmine for anyone thinking of trying it.

Flyingfemme, one for you, or any Comanche fan for that matter,

'Into the wind' a biography of Max Conrad.

G-JWTP

Almost forgot ' The quick and the dead'.
If you don't know who wrote it then you are far too young! :D
kanga, Hooligan liked this
By johnm
I found an anthology of flying short stories from 1940 called "Best Flying Stories" edited by Norman MacMillan with writers from the US, France, Holland Switzerland Germany Italy and Russia as well as Britain.

Sold originally for 3/6 and I got it for 50p in a charity shop, fascinating stuff....
By G-JWTP
PA28 wrote:Not read the Max Conrad book but should do. 12,679Km in a Twin Comanche is impressive stuff. Can't fault his choice of aeroplanes!

Flew from Cassablanca to Los Angeles in a Single Com. too.

G-JWTP
By rohmer
Steve Ladd, who gave the LAA Devon Strut two very entertaining talks about his experiences flying Phantoms and later Warthogs, has published his memoirs in hardback, available direct from his publishers Pen & Sword https://www.pen-and-sword.co.uk/From-F- ... ../p/17799 or from Amazon https://tinyurl.com/y28pweep.

This book was difficult to put down. Don't expect a gung-ho "500kts with nothing on the clock" type of fighter pilot memoir but a thoughtful, well crafted and humorous account of a pilot's career that puts you in the cockpit / briefing room / bar with the author and his fellow aviators during Vietnam and the Cold War. Five stars from me! Thoroughly recommended and an ideal Christmas present, if you can wait!
By ChampChump
Hangar buddy wrote a little book of anecdotes 'Rocketeering'; he was surprised to see it reviewed in the other magazine. Amongst others, there are stories that have raised smiles amongst those involved in the ATC cadet world fortyish years ago.

Buy direct for a fiver (or add postage to be kind).

ron_arm itage @ lineone.net

Spaces added to address, possibly uselessly..