Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
I have a copy of 'The Thin Blue Line', written during the war, about a group of teenage recruits learning to fly and their early combat sessions. I also have the follow up 'The Avengers' about their later exploits. This is all real life stuff. They are also printed as 'War economy standard' , thin paper, and smaller margins . There are photographs though. Takes you back to a different age.
By Rob L
I've just finished re-reading "An Old Captivity" (ISBN 9780099530121) again a Nevil Shute novel, now published by Vintage Books (whom I see have been taken over by Penguin).

It tells about the trials & tribulations of float flying in the north; rather apt I thought, for our PBY friends!
kanga liked this
By kanga
Rob L wrote:I've just finished re-reading "An Old Captivity"..

It tells about the trials & tribulations of float flying in the north; ..

pub 1940; presciently, 20 years before the discovery of Viking archaeology at L'Anse aux Meadows in Northern Newfoundland :thumright:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L%27Anse_aux_Meadows
Rob L liked this
By Rob L
kanga wrote:
Rob L wrote:I've just finished re-reading "An Old Captivity"..
It tells about the trials & tribulations of float flying in the north; ..

pub 1940; presciently, 20 years before the discovery of Viking archaeology at L'Anse aux Meadows in Northern Newfoundland :thumright:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L%27Anse_aux_Meadows

He was ahead of his time in many ways :thumleft: The fact that it was published in 1940 could be overseen by a casual reader; it could have been about a flight in the 1950s or60s.
He's my favourite aviation author.
kanga, Dave W liked this
By Hooligan
I think I read most of Nevil Shutes's books when I was at school - we had a great school library! - and have recently acquired several - No Highway, Trustee from the Toolroom, A Town Like Alice, On the Beach, Whatever Happened to the Corbetts plus Slide Rule - all great reads. Don't think I've read An Old Captivity though... yet.
By Rob L
Hooligan wrote:I think I read most of Nevil Shutes's books when I was at school - we had a great school library! - and have recently acquired several - No Highway, Trustee from the Toolroom, A Town Like Alice, On the Beach, Whatever Happened to the Corbetts plus Slide Rule - all great reads. Don't think I've read An Old Captivity though... yet.

You were indeed fortunate if your school library had those :D .

Due to relatively new publishers, and the Trustees of the Nevil Shute Estate, they are all available in new print through many book sellers. I prefer the printed & bound version myself; no doubt they are available in electronic format too.
By Hooligan
It was good - I seem to recall wading through the complete works of Graham Greene as well. Ian Allan was a School Governor and his various aviation, railway and other publications took up a fair bit of space in the reference section.

I'll add more Nevil Shute books to my library - prefer print as well...