Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
TopCat wrote:The other thing was the chunks of Class E (Oakhanger to the edge of the Solent zone), and the chunk north of Goodwood. Admittedly their bases are 4500 and 5500 respectively, so won't often be an issue, but they will be TMZs, and Mode S ones at that, like the one at North Weald.

I wasn't overly happy about that either, as I was hoping to be able to delay having to get Mode S for a while. Maybe I still will.

Looking at the AIP as it will be after the 27th Feb (https://www.aurora.nats.co.uk/htmlAIP/P ... en-GB.html), in ENR2.1, it seems that Mode S transponder is not needed for the TMZ

Farnborough CTA 8 is a TMZ (Transponder Mandatory Zone). Carriage and operation of a transponder with Mode A code and Mode C altitude (or equivalent Mode S) is mandatory.

Also the frequency for transit in CTA8&9 is different than the other CTA/CTR, it is 125.250MHz.
FlarePath wrote:Not a problem, just nip into Fairoaks ATZ then follow the the proposed "Routeing" along the A319 to M3 vrp then A322 to Bracknell leave the CTR and on your way. :D

And if the Fairoaks FISO tells you to 'stand by'?........... :twisted:
FlarePath wrote:You wouldn't do that would you?

Call up 10 mins before, should be enough time for a pee/cup-of-tea or talk to the wife.....

I personally have never done it to either a transit or an arrival because I operate on the concept that RTF ALWAYS has priority over other actions but going by the example set by Barton..... :twisted: .
A Fairoaks transit will always be below alt. 1,500ft, the ATZ being delegated to Heathrow above this level and we simply pass information on known traffic.
"FlarePath wrote:
Not a problem, just nip into Fairoaks ATZ then follow the the proposed "Routeing" along the A319 to M3 vrp then A322 to Bracknell leave the CTR and on your way."

Is this a future legitimate squeeze through path, if <1500' and initiate RT contact with Fairoaks, say when coming northwards from Dunsfold towards White Waltham or further north still ?
By James Chan
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Does anyone know why Farnborough CTA-7 (NW Corner) doesn’t align with the Farnborough CTA-6? What’s the small hole there for?
By Iceman
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
James Chan wrote:Does anyone know why Farnborough CTA-7 (NW Corner) doesn’t align with the Farnborough CTA-6? What’s the small hole there for?

Because CTA-7 provides the requisite 3 nm lateral protection for the SID / STAR* that routes through it, and hence, in the interest of everybody, that western bit of CTA-7 isn't required.

One thing that I did find out last night that surprised me is that all of this airspace disappears and reverts to Class G airspace outside Farnborough's notified hours of operation (0700 - 2200 Monday to Friday, 0800 to 2000 Saturday to Sunday). This means that for our summer time late weekend returns from the continent, we can just route through the airspace as we do at the moment.

Iceman 8)

* I can't remember which.