Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By rikur_
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
AlanM wrote:
Do any (civilian) units still offer SRAs?

Had one from Humberside 2 years ago, at their request for controller benefit
By chevvron
The CAA did mention about 10 years ago they were considering the introduction of some sort of competency checking of ROCC holders but I've heard nothing since.
With FISOs, they need as TDM says to exercise their licence every 90 days with a full competency check every 24 months however I have heard in some places they have adopted similar periods of recency to those employed at ATC units for ADV.
As an ATCO at Farnborough, just before I retired I had to keep 5 currencies going, tower (aka ADV/ADI), Farnborough Approach including an SRA every 30 days (Farnborough still do SRAs; charts AD 2. EGLF-8-3 and -8-6 refer ) plus LARS West, East and North.
While we still had PAR I had to do a minimum of 3 per month and many years ago, I also had to maintain Area Radar for operations above FL245 and autonomous airways crossings plus Odiham Radar Approach Control and Radar Director in the days before the RAF took the task back (late 1999 I think) and re-started doing them from Odiham.
Last edited by chevvron on Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By AlanM
I must admit that I had a look at the eAIP thingy and there are a few units left with a published procedure, but not that many.

Generally it seems that the more NavAids/Type of Instrument approaches published, the less chance of an SRA chart.

From my memory, we had to do 12 per quarter on the TC approach sectors. Certainly on EGLL approach we did them on a Saturday afternoon when it was quiet and gorgeous weather (so they almost always ignored the headings when visual!). Usually done to the departure runway with an aircraft willing to benefit with less taxi time if they helped out.

We removed them here a number of years ago but practice “Emergency SRAs” in the simulator annually.
By chevvron
Skylaunch2 wrote:

Always been talk of a certain large unlicensed airfield near Basingstoke returning to SRA... but this is still open to much debate.

And a source of spare thermionic valves. :twisted:
By flybymike
It’s beyond my comprehension why such a valuable emergency asset for non instrument qualified pilots has been largely removed.
By Talkdownman
chevvron wrote:And a source of spare thermionic valves. :twisted:

It’s got solid state electronics now, but it still needs a supply of Ford Anglia fan belts...
Last edited by Talkdownman on Thu Nov 28, 2019 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By AlanM
flybymike wrote:It’s beyond my comprehension why such a valuable emergency asset for non instrument qualified pilots has been largely removed.

I hate to say it, but it is probably about money, ultimately. (In as much as most radars are not good enough to do an SRA to 2nm let alone 0.5nm)

I guess that the plates need reviewing too; as well as ATCO currency hassles.

But yes, it seems odd that an emergency approval is given, but no-one (Pilots/ATCOs) can practice it regularly.

As Chevvers will tell you, doing talkdowns as a PAR or an SRA esp with a fastjet is fun!
By chevvron
AlanM wrote:As Chevvers will tell you, doing talkdowns as a PAR or an SRA esp with a fastjet is fun!

Especially speechless, no compass no gyro. 8)
By Dodo
AlanM wrote:

Do any (civilian) units still offer SRAs?

I did one at Newquay in 2015 on an IR(r) revalidation check and it looks like there is still a current Instrument approach plate for it.
By matspart3
flybymike wrote:I think Gloucester had one down to half a mile not too long ago.
No idea whether they still have.

Gloucester still has the capability to do SRAs, including half milers and, from what I gather, the equipment is now
serviceable again after more than 2 years out of service. Unfortunately, the controllers’ radar currency has now lapsed and they need to be retrained.

Normal currency requirements for the other disciplines there were a minimum 20 hours per month and not more than 21 days between operational duties. If you exceeded those limits, you’d sit with a supervising instructor until you were up to speed again.
kanga, flybymike liked this
By ATCO C
Some of us only need to do 8hrs per rating per month. Tower and Delivery count to the same rating. You can also utilise a 50% reduction if you OJTI, just in case you haven’t reached the 8. However most of us strive to get the 8 minimum, we don’t like falling back on training hours.
By chevvron
flybymike wrote:It’s beyond my comprehension why such a valuable emergency asset for non instrument qualified pilots has been largely removed.

Likewise PAR.
A PAR controller can talk you down in IMC when your compass and gyro compass are both U/S, you are unable to change the setting of the subscale on your altimeter and you are unable to transmit speech but you can receive it.
By chevvron
Talkdownman wrote:...plus a short-pattern, emergency SRA using the HEFOE code...

If the pilot of a 'speechless' aircraft indicates he has a further problem by transmitting '-..-' you can ask what the problem is in the following order:-
'H' is it hydraulics?
'E' is it electroncs?
'F' is it fuel?
'O' is it oxygen?
'E' is it engine?*
*This invariably evokes a debate as the whether it would be better to ask this question a bit earlier.