Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
CloudHound wrote:"Flying IFR" Can we agree what in this context that means please?

Does it mean one has filed a flight plan and left controlled airspace?

Does it mean you have filed a flight plan but not entered CAS?

Does it mean your are flying in Class G in IMC?

My vested interest is because of the new generation of PBN approaches may be in Class G with the opportunity for a service OCAS.

You don't need to file a flight plan to fly IFR in Class G.
Slightly off topic, before EASA dictated you needed an IR to fly IFR does this mean that all the night flying I did when it was IFR @ Night prior to this change mean I can log all previous night flights as IFR?

Can IRr pilot fly IFR in Class D?
Last edited by FlarePath on Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
CloudHound wrote:So OCAS how do I tell unit I’m flying IFR?

By flying straight lines with autopilot coupled GPS/NAV at exactly FL80/70 :D

I think the best would be to call but not sure why you want to tell them that you are IFR OCAS, does it make any difference?
Ibra wrote:
CloudHound wrote:So OCAS how do I tell unit I’m flying IFR?

By flying straight lines with autopilot coupled GPS/NAV at exactly FL80/70 :D

I think the best would be to call but not sure why you want to tell them that you are IFR OCAS, does it make any difference?

Yes; IFR OCAS I call, tell LARS and ask for a TS/occasionally a DS as required. Once or twice it has saved my bacon. And I'm very fond of bacon.
Ibra, johnm, kanga liked this
JonathanB wrote:
FlarePath wrote:Do you fly in the UK?

Must do as they are UK only services.

If you're sufficiently bored and wish to be bored further, take a look at the 'other' forum in the 'ATC Issues' thread where I've posted a brief history of the previous ATSOCA services available in UK airspace before the present BS/TS/DS up to 55 years ago and which I have to admit was done from memory so may not have the correct dates of changes.