Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
Obviously aimed at a lay audience, but informative all the same

Welcome to Heathrow airport. It’s 6:54am.

This aircraft is Shuttle 2 Lima, a British Airways A320. It’s finished boarding and ready for take-off.

You’re about to see and hear how Air Traffic Controllers guide it through the skies to Manchester

https://www.nats.aero/discover/plane-talking/
johnm, James Chan liked this
rikur_ wrote:The PDC bit was new to me. Do I take it nowadays PDCs are not read out by delivery? In which case, what actually does delivery do?

I wondered that... but also wondered if it had been sent electronically. That said there were no squawk allocations so presumably we missed a few transmissions at the start.
By PeteSpencer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I suppose it's a reflection of the crowded airspace i the UK , but the frequent clearances of only a few thousand feet at a time contrast sharply with Kennedy Steve and his ilk in the US where departing pilots are cleared from a few thousand feet to nosebleed altitudes in one hit.

Peter
johnm liked this
By Dave W
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Yep, that'll be down to UK vs US geography.

The blame lies more with Slartibartfast than with the Directorate of Airspace Policy.
johnm, Tim Dawson, kanga and 1 others liked this
PaulB wrote:Obviously aimed at a lay audience, but informative all the same

Notwithstanding the target audience, and given that the phraseology is supposedly representative of real RT, I thought that the RT discipline and compliance with CAP413 displayed by the BA pilot in this playback was dreadful. Poor RT is often cited as a contributory cause in accident reports - there's just no excuse for poor standards.

It surprises me that NATS should use such a poor example - there must be better.

rikur_ wrote:The PDC bit was new to me. Do I take it nowadays PDCs are not read out by delivery? In which case, what actually does delivery do?

PDC (pre departure clearance) is often transmitted to aircraft by data link these days although not all aircraft / companies have this capability. The PDC will include SID, squawk and (often) slot time. Delivery is still used to pass clearances if data link is not fitted or doesn't work and I presume their other role is one of flow control and slot co-ordination.
rikur_ liked this