Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Ian Melville
Don’t believe everything you read in the Daily Fail. :D
BMFA members still have to register an pay the fee, but are exempt from the online test if they meet the criteria. Hold a proficiency test certificate, or BMFA Members Competency Certificate.

kanga wrote:
johnm wrote:@Flyin'Dutch' I think the first point is that aeromodellers have been operating perfectly happily for yonks and are swept up in this. ..

from the link cited:

"... Not all owners must register by 30 November. Exemptions have been granted for members of several associations involved with flying model aircraft or other small, remotely controlled craft such as drones.

The five associations are

The UK Drone Association (Arpas UK)
British Model Flying Association
Scottish Aeromodellers' Association
Large Model Association
FPV UK "
By Joff
Yet again I come to a thread on drone registration to point out it was the government not the CAA that decided to introduce registration.

That aside as a GA pilot I’d of thought you’d welcome it being compulsory that drone users now have to take a safety test before sharing the air?
JAFO, kanga liked this
By skydriller
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Joff wrote:That aside as a GA pilot I’d of thought you’d welcome it being compulsory that drone users now have to take a safety test before sharing the air?

If they had thought about this before drones became comonplace... but that drone has now already flown...its too late.
By nallen
Do the regulations consider, I wonder, the possibility of one person operating many <250g drones simultaneously? (The -- rather good -- Lady Gaga Superbowl show in 2017 had c. 300 synchronised drones floating in the night sky …)
By Flyin'Dutch'
Interesting that there is so much opposition on these shores for this but that people have no problem with having to register for a PMD (CAA self declaration)

Surely that is exactly the same (minus the 9 quid)

No?

I think they have been rather smart - especially as they have to do an online test too.
kanga liked this
By Nomad63
Joff wrote:Yet again I come to a thread on drone registration to point out it was the government not the CAA that decided to introduce registration.

That aside as a GA pilot I’d of thought you’d welcome it being compulsory that drone users now have to take a safety test before sharing the air?

Have you seen the 'test' its ridiculously easy
Its another case of pretending to be doing something, government stylee virtue signalling
By Flyin'Dutch'
I've seen and done it.

That it is easy is neither here nor there - it forces those who want to fly drones to familiarise themselves with the essence of the legislation, and here is the nub; anyone found in contravention of the rules can be managed accordingly.

No Flyer ID - no excuse
Operating contrary to the rules - no excuse
No Operator ID - no excuse

Makes life a lot easier for plod and the regulator when dealing with people who break the rules.

Clearly it does nothing for those with criminal intent, but for the ignoranamuses it is a very effective tool. In other words a tool for the ........
Dave W, kanga liked this
By Mike Charlie
Sadly the only thing that will ensure proper laws and enforcement for drone use is when an aircraft is brought down by one with loss of life(s). Its inevitable, it will happen the question is when. I speak having had two close encounters with large drones both at around 1500 ft over built up areas, there but by the grace of god...!
By MichaelP
What next, Kites?

That should have been done yonks ago after I had a close encounter with an out of control kite (not a Tiger Moth BTW).
I was on the tail of a Turbulent when I spotted something flopping over the top of the Condor!
The Turb had severed the string on a kite over Coulsdon.
The string was found wrapped around the propeller hub after landing back at Redhill.
We were at about 1,500 feet iirc.

Groups of balloons should also be fitted with strobes or other means of being alerted.
I shied away from intercepting balloon bunches directly, rather passing the wingtip over them to spin them in the vortex.
Single balloons however...

Next week it’s the Yee Peng festival here in Chiang Mai, and lantern balloons are to be banned this year around the flight paths in and out of Chiang Mai Airport... Good luck with that!
Burning is also banned in the forests and fields that causes very poor air quality.
The pyromaniac Thais will ignore these laws as they always do.

Drones aside, there are a few other things we need to see and avoid when we are flying about.
Canada geese are a little stupid sometimes, and ducks are worse!
By JAFO
I remember, one New Years Eve in a helicopter, finding ourselves surrounded by a squadron of Chinese lanterns. Dozens of dull orange lights in every direction and on the infrared camera, many, many more. Only thing you can do is press on and hope.
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By defcribed
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:I've seen and done it.

That it is easy is neither here nor there - it forces those who want to fly drones to familiarise themselves with the essence of the legislation, and here is the nub; anyone found in contravention of the rules can be managed accordingly.

No Flyer ID - no excuse
Operating contrary to the rules - no excuse
No Operator ID - no excuse

Makes life a lot easier for plod and the regulator when dealing with people who break the rules.

Clearly it does nothing for those with criminal intent, but for the ignoranamuses it is a very effective tool. In other words a tool for the ........

I thought all that no excuse stuff was already taken care of by the long-established principle that ignorance of the law is no defence.