Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By riverrock
My 750 sits on the side of my flight bag - need to charge it very occasionally.
You can save / input COM and NAV pre-sets by PC using the provided cable, which can save a lot of time. If you include the Lat/Long of way points you can use the GPS to head to them.
A new version should have the latest software already. I got mine a few years ago so needed to update to be able to put pre-sets into groups (so if you use it as a scanner, you can tell it to scan a group so it doesn't keep stopping on ATISs...).

Enjoy your new toy (sorry - safety tool)!
By rdfb
neilmurg wrote:get the rechargeable.

Rechargeable batteries lose capacity over time and in the short term self-discharge. If used as an emergency backup, alkaline AA batteries would be more reliable in the short term, and you won't have a problem in five or ten years when the rechargeable battery needs replacing and replacements of a special model-specific lithium rechargeable battery are no longer available.
PeteSpencer liked this
By riverrock
The 750 that I have included an AA battery holder which can be used instead of the Li Ion battery also included.
The li-ion does discharge itself over time - but you're talking something like 6 months or so before you need to re-charge. Not an issue - it should be tested more regularly than that anyway.

My general experience of alkaline batteries is that they will start to leak and damage the device they are in after an extended period so really aren't any better.
neilmurg liked this
By rdfb
Six months before you need to re-charge, but how much charge will you have after five months and do you really want to be worrying about that during an electrical failure? What about after a couple of years - how much capacity will the battery have then, and what will be the state of the battery after five months since charge at that point?

Alkaline batteries have a shelf life of 5+ years. I would leave the batteries uninstalled to prevent leaks. I suppose in an emergency that might be fiddly, but I would prefer that over the uncertainty of batteries not having enough charge.

Testing more often is all very well, but how many people actually manage to keep up with that schedule after two years? I would prefer a system that doesn't require such a schedule nor regular charging. With everything apart from the battery being solid state, I don't think it's necessary to test as often with uninstalled alkaline batteries.
By cockney steve
^^^^^^^^ what he said, + Alkalines do self- discharge! Keeping them in the refrigerator will slow this down, but there is a date on them for a good reason!
Even the "leakproof" ones leak or swell. I've a Garmin 196 that has a home-made replacement for a rotted
contact and a Maglite DD size torch that has been ruined internally-Anodising is no barrier to a leaking cell !

Regarding the "obsolete" scaremongering, there are very many aftermarket offerings for phones, camcorders, cameras, laptops and other devices that use custom batteries.

Mass- market consumer- goods such as these Airband Transceivers have sufficient volume to make the OE fitment economically viable and likewise the aftermarket "cloners"
@rdfb -If you can't remember to recharge a battery over the course of , say, 4 months, are you safe with other activities that need memory? :twisted:
By neilmurg
@rdfb I take your point, and I use alkaline batteries for the ANR headset. For me having a rechargeable handheld radio has better availability and reliability. It doesn't get used too much so battery deterioration through recharge cycles isn't a concern.
I notice that my alkaline night flying torch needs new batteries every year, but the rechargeable is just fine.... I guess we all get to
choose our own poison / pays yer money and takes yer choice / each to his own
By FlightDek
From looking at antennas nav signals are horizontally polarised so antenna needs to be horizontal
By Lefty
matthew_w100 wrote:Sadly that puts the display on its side!

You can buy a “BNC 90 degree adaptor” - which allow you to have the radio vertical and the antenna horizontal.
By matthew_w100
^^^ Sure, but then you have to bugger around getting the right length, which is a lot longer than the supplied helical. And a 90 adaptor spoils voice.

As I said, ILS reception is a gimmick on the 750!
flyingeeza liked this