Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By dunny
Hi all,

Any recommendations on a reasonably powerful and a reasonably priced 8.33mhz transceiver? I just want to have a back up in the aircraft since I had some issues on a recent flight.

Apologies if I have posted this before but I cant seem to find it if i have!!

Thanks

D
By Dave W
Yaesu FTA-250L. Well under £200.

But when you get it, Google or search here how to set it up for 8.33 - it doesn't arrive set up for that, and whilst fairly simple, the way to do it is very well hidden in the manual.
G-JWTP, chevvron, neilmurg liked this
By dunny
Thanks - are you happy with it? Did you get the rechargeable version or the battery only version?

Do you know what COMM ONLY means when it comes to transceivers?

Thanks

D
By Paul_Sengupta
I got the AA only version as I just wanted it as either a backup, or when plumbed into the aeroplane. I currently use it at my only (working!) aeroplane radio! Yes, very happy.

"COM only" means no VOR receiver or GPS. The 250 and 450 are COM only, the 550 also has VOR/localiser and the 750 also has glideslope and GPS.
By dunny
Thanks both.

Is it worth spending a bit more for the features of the 750?

I want it really as a back up as I had a recent radio failure en route to Jersey. This was no drama of course but it could have meant me having to land elsewhere and this would have been inconvenient. As it transpired I could get Bournemouth and Jersey but strangely couldn't get London (despite having spoken to them previously) , Compton Abass, Plymouth Military and a few others.

D
Last edited by dunny on Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By neilmurg
Mine sits in the office on charge, ready to be put in the flight bag. It also came with the standard battery cradle. It's also worth looking at the menu setting for plugging in a headset, so you don't look like a plonker with the wrong microphone working - don't ask me how I know.
I added a cut down screen protector from a phone and have a set of local (S East) frequencies loaded into the memory, with extra sets on the PC for trips.
By mikehallam
My 550 is connected to a power supply offv the Rans 12 volt bus. It replaced the previous Yaesu 25 m/cs version and before that an Icom.

It lives in the 'planeon a handy home made mount on the panel and is the only, thus principal, comm's device. Used into France without hassle.
Over here its lower 5 watts output does get blanked by serial higher powered tx 'ers when trying to raise, say, Farnborough LARS, but then who cares ?
neilmurg liked this
By Chris Martyr
Dave W wrote:Yaesu FTA-250L. Well under £200.

Wot Dave said,,,,^^^^

I have the FTA-550 , which is a fantastic bit of kit , except I wasn't aware of the availabiliy of the '250' when I bought mine . So I wasted money on having all this top-end technology which now allows me to track VOR's .....[ :lol: ]
By matthew_w100
I have a 750. For no good reason because the GPS is a lot less useful than the one in your phone, and reception on the glideslope is so iffy it can only really be regarded as a gimmick. The radio bit is great though.
By dunny
Opted for the 750 in the end and it arrived this morning. I have the 8.33 freq step set up now but I cant test it as I am at home. Looks kike a pretty decent quality bit of kit though!!

Thanks for the recommendations!!

D