Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By PaulB
I'm guessing that this is just an opening gambit..... The final outcome is still unknown and applies to areas other than aviation.

Whatever else he is, Boris is an excellent politician.
By Sooty25
I just hope both the UK and the EU have the sense to negotiate our withdrawal piecemeal and not as one whole document, otherwise everybody will lose out.
townleyc liked this
peter272 wrote:...advice from the CAA...

That's an amusing idea based on their performance in recent years.

Can I ask if anyone here, except where the motivation is one of staying licensed and legal, would actually seek the CAA's advice on anything because they thought that said organisation could be relied on as a bastion of aviation-related wisdom and common sense?
cockney steve liked this
I don't seek CAA advice, but I keep an eye on their Brexit page. Nothing I see there seems unreasonable to me.
CAA bashing is a favourite activity on here, but it seems to me many of those who complain have not experienced light aviation under other NAAs. In my view the work the CAA has done to enable pilots to keep flying in this country is commendable. Try getting anything like the PMD or NPPL in France, Belgium Spain, etc.

https://www.caa.co.uk/Our-work/About-us/Brexit/
kanga, Flyin'Dutch', G-BLEW and 4 others liked this
Coming from, having one, and dealing with the Italian CAA I can confirm the UK one is way better :)

Having said that I think it makes more sense for me to keep the italian license so far until we know what happens for sure. The issue as always is the political weight. GA pilots count nothing, but maybe commercial ones do a bit more...and if any change in status creates issue to the industry then maybe the gov would do something about it...we'll see.
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By defcribed
G-BLEW wrote:
defcribed wrote:"Some others are worse" is never much of a recommendation in my book.

It's almost like saying everything about them is bad and or useless.

Ian

Except I didn't say that. I suggested that, other than looking to keep licensed and legal, I couldn't see a reason to view them as any sort of bastion of expertise or common sense, nor to seek their advice in anything.
By defcribed
patowalker wrote:You asked a question, you got a reply. I am sorry if my reply was not the one you wanted. :)

There's no need whatsoever to be sorry. Apart from anything else, I could have made a fairly good guess what your response was likely to be.
FWIW noting, our UK CAA has worked diligently & well in recent years together with the indigenous amateur flying bodies - especially the LAA & BMAA.
e.g. Medicals are simplifed to a self declaration for many cases.
Permit work made more accessible and for a greater range of a/c types and mass.
LAA night flying.
PPL training.
One section however has consistently NOT been quite so even handed, by wholly ignoring GA's own modest airspace needs & instead granting exclusive blocks to purely business airfields.
kanga, patowalker, Stu B and 7 others liked this
By Gertie
The Admin Team wrote:We know it is difficult to resist, but no political commentary please.

So no discussion about any rules or regulations? - all of which are part of the political process?
By G-BLEW
Gertie wrote:
The Admin Team wrote:We know it is difficult to resist, but no political commentary please.

So no discussion about any rules or regulations? - all of which are part of the political process?

I think you know what we mean.

Thanks

Ian
Dave W, kanga liked this
By PaulB
Interesting tweet from Adam Fleming (BBC Brussels/Europe correspondent.)

For those who don’t do twitter It suggests that EU member states have been tweaking the mandate for negotiations. One of those is that there should be a “typical” aviation agreement rather than a special one.

Plenty of posturing from both sides, it seems.