Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By SteveC
I will dig it out if I can as well. It’s the route I took many years ago to get an FAA to TC conversion. Single exam on TC specifics and that was it done. Very very simple. If you recall it was when I was asking you to check out registering as a Doc with TC for medicals as the old guy that did the Dr Foster-ThompSon retired.
By MichaelP
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
but given the many observations that @MichaelP has made about poor quality instruction, that's probably right and proper.

Is it?

Perhaps a bit of international input will help to improve the standard?

I’ve been doing my bit to improve the standard in three countries.
In a forth, though messed around by a hugely inefficient organisation, CASA, I was at least able to share methods of teaching aerobatics with an instructor in Australia.
I was a Class 1 aerobatic instructor, teaching pilots to be aerobatic instructors... Though with limited work available this meant doing myself out of work!

Here’s the URL for the FAA TC CPL conversion process.

https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/ ... n-1806.htm
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By MichaelP
I watch the goings on at Blackbushe, sometimes at Popham, and then Redhill.

A Cessna landed on the grass, taxied in with its elevator flopping up and down, its somewhat deflated nose leg allowing the propeller to come precariously close to the sod.
I waited for the pilot to finish talking to his passenger, and when he was alone I went to have a kind word... I can’t ignore things even if I am not qualified wherever I happen to be.
The Cessna taxied out, at first the elevator was down... Then the pilot remembered, pulled back on the yoke, and the nose rose. The aeroplane taxied happily out, its propeller better protected, its nose leg a little more extended under less pressure.

Aviation safety is everybody’s business wherever you are. Always better to prevent an incident than rue the fact that you could have said something afterwards.

I think some places could use a bit of international input.
But wait a minute; my original training and first two thousand hours were all British, in a different time!

It would be nice to have the aviation experienced, aviation minded, and enthusiastic people the CAA once had.
I used to have their new engineering surveyors visit the hangar (1) at the top end of Redhill Aerodrome. ‘What have you got going on now Michael?’
‘The Jungmann is on permit renewal’, ‘Desmond is assembling his Sopwith Pup’, ‘I’m repairing and recovering TAU’. ‘This is how a scarf joint is done’.
Pull out the old BCAIPs... Still have them stored in Bracknell.
Wood, steel tube, fabric, piston engines, all this for the new surveyors often from BA, to learn and experience before going out to look at little aeroplanes for their CxA renewals.

This was a different time in the CAA’s history.
Is it as good now under EASA?
I don’t know, tell me.

I do know that you get two messages from FCL.
The inexperienced, ‘these are the regulations.’
And the CAA chap who more reasonably tells me I need to be assessed and a recommendation made by an instructor instructor.

I am all for having full control of how we conduct our own aviation business, at least until the World comes to a proper consensus in the way ICAO originally intended.
terryws liked this
By SteveC
Michael, I read everyone of your posts with great interest. You clearly have a great deal of bitterness towards the fact that world has moved on since your glory days. You are stuck in a bygone era that at times I find very quaint and want to live in but then get drawn back to the reality of the world we live in now which is simply more complicated. It needs people with your experience to pass that experience on. But to that you need to pass through the same modern checks and measures that the rest of us have. You can’t just expect recognition for your past glory.
If you would genuinely like to convert then I would be delighted as an FIE and Head of Training to carry out the required assessments and any relevant training to get you into the breach of things here in Europe and the U.K. You will be given the maximum credit the system and your demonstration of competence allows to convert and I know the flying population would benefit from your significant experience should you desire.
PaulB, derekf, Lockhaven and 8 others liked this
By MichaelP
If you would genuinely like to convert then I would be delighted as an FIE and Head of Training to carry out the required assessments and any relevant training to get you into the breach of things here in Europe and the U.K. You will be given the maximum credit the system and your demonstration of competence allows to convert and I know the flying population would benefit from your significant experience should you desire.

Thank you for the offer.

Bitter is too strong a word, annoyed would be more like it.
I am very much still in the swing of things, ‘did a stint as Chief Flying Instructor recently too, and in the midst of doing someone’s night rating training,

I will keep my hand in as much as possible until I can afford to start on the EASA route.
Meanwhile I will keep any opinions I might have to myself. I agree they are not positive, and are an expression of my own passion for this business.
By PaulB
Back to the question in the title of the thread.....

Last night Steve Baker (Chair of the ERG) used the phrase "regulatory independence in all areas" (that may not be an exact quote but is the gist of what he said) after a meeting of the group with the PM.

That would seem to indicate that we will not be clamouring to remain in EASA.
By Lefty
SteveC wrote:Michael, I read everyone of your posts with great interest. You clearly have a great deal of bitterness towards the fact that world has moved on since your glory days. You are stuck in a bygone era that at times I find very quaint and want to live in but then get drawn back to the reality of the world we live in now which is simply more complicated. It needs people with your experience to pass that experience on. But to that you need to pass through the same modern checks and measures that the rest of us have. You can’t just expect recognition for your past glory.

Nice one Steve.
PaulB liked this
By johnm
PaulB wrote:Back to the question in the title of the thread.....

Last night Steve Baker (Chair of the ERG) used the phrase "regulatory independence in all areas" (that may not be an exact quote but is the gist of what he said) after a meeting of the group with the PM.

That would seem to indicate that we will not be clamouring to remain in EASA.

There are very few places where national regulations are not impacted by international expectations or agreements and most industries cope. Given market size it’s likely that any reduction in standards relative to others in the EU or elsewhere would be ignored any increase is just more gold plating IMHO.
MichaelP wrote:

Thank you for the offer.

Bitter is too strong a word, annoyed would be more like it.
I am very much still in the swing of things, ‘did a stint as Chief Flying Instructor recently too, and in the midst of doing someone’s night rating training,

I will keep my hand in as much as possible until I can afford to start on the EASA route.
Meanwhile I will keep any opinions I might have to myself. I agree they are not positive, and are an expression of my own passion for this business.

Surely that is an exceptional offer from @SteveC that you cannot turn down :scratch:
kanga liked this
By Genghis the Engineer
From here

The New Withdrawal Agreement wrote:X. TRANSPORT
A. Aviation
58. The Parties should ensure passenger and cargo air connectivity through a Comprehensive
Air Transport Agreement (CATA). The CATA should cover market access and investment,
aviation safety and security, air traffic management, and provisions to ensure open and fair
competition, including appropriate and relevant consumer protection requirements and
social standards.
59. The Parties should make further arrangements to enable cooperation with a view to high
standards of aviation safety and security, including through close cooperation between
EASA and the United Kingdom's Civil Aviation Authority (CAA).

We don't know the form of that, but it does sound awfully like Swiss-style 3rd country membership of EASA.

Interesting that an earlier vaguer mention of EASA calls it "European Aviation Safety Agency", so apparently even the European Commission don't know about its new name. That makes me feel better about not knowing.

G
johnm liked this
By johnm
@Genghis the Engineer I'll get round to reading that I hope, thanks for the link, which of the 3 documents is the extract from?? I've assumed (though not checked) that the core of the WA is Maydeal and it's the protocols and Political Declaration that have changed.