Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By nallen
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Reports coming in of a B-17 crashing on landing at Bradley Airport, CT:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/us-news/breaking-bradley-airport-crash-world-20388303
Even sadder still, the Collings foundation gives paying customers rides on their B17, meaning it's possible some enthusiast on a once in a lifetime treat could have bought the farm, rather than a regular crew member well versed in the risks of flying in an eighty year old complex machine.
By avtur3
Maxthelion wrote:Even sadder still, the Collings foundation gives paying customers rides on their B17, meaning it's possible some enthusiast on a once in a lifetime treat could have bought the farm, rather than a regular crew member well versed in the risks of flying in an eighty year old complex machine.

I hope this doesn't sound too morbid, it is a genuine question, obviously a very delicate subject.

In relation to many activities, it is not uncommon to hear the comment "they died doing something they loved to do". I've never been in this situation to know if this thought is of any comfort. Does anyone have any experience/thoughts on this?

I often wonder about this in terms of my own demise.
By flybymike
avtur3 wrote:
Maxthelion wrote:Even sadder still, the Collings foundation gives paying customers rides on their B17, meaning it's possible some enthusiast on a once in a lifetime treat could have bought the farm, rather than a regular crew member well versed in the risks of flying in an eighty year old complex machine.

I hope this doesn't sound too morbid, it is a genuine question, obviously a very delicate subject.

In relation to many activities, it is not uncommon to hear the comment "they died doing something they loved to do". I've never been in this situation to know if this thought is of any comfort. Does anyone have any experience/thoughts on this?

The wife of a good friend was recently killed when thrown from her horse.
He did indeed derive some comfort knowing that she had died doing what she loved.
VictoryRoll, Bobcro, Lockhaven and 1 others liked this
avtur3 wrote:

It's a valid topic of conversation, and one that is pretty much always 'not the right place' to talk about.

My thoughts are that someone living their life making their own choices, is always better than someone who passes away due to a risk they did not choose to take.

We all take risks (and not just with flying, with other choices) and knowing that someone had a life well lived does provide comfort.
By Flyin'Dutch'
It is one of those standard phrases uttered at times when we don't have anything better to say, part of the communal grieving process but does not stand up to scrutiny when closer examined.

The moments when you are in a crash and realise you are not going to make it must be causing terrifying anxiety and stress - I very much doubt anyone experiencing that will for one moment think 'at least it happens during the one thing I love dearly'

I am going flying later today and I very much prefer to snuff it at the end of a morphine drip should a terminal illness strike me down later today than in an accident later today whilst being flown around.
By Highland Park
According to a post on Proon based on a press conference:

“Known facts so far:
Took off 0945 - 0950 problem reported - returning to land.
Impacted ILS stanchions whilst attempting emergency landing on Runway 6 - veered to right - crossed grass + taxiway - impacted de-icing facility.
Preliminary Report within 10 days”

Very sad news for all concerned.

Ian