Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
Give me Kirkbride over Carlisle any day!

So once we've passed Perth (or Kirkbride or Cumbernauld) we've got to be handled at Inverness or handled at Wick?

(Wick was worth being handled at, 'cos they got you a reduced rate - half - at Ackergill Tower. But sadly I believe that's in private hands now.)
By avtur3
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Iceman wrote:SkyDemon is certainly advertising a price for Islay AVGAS that looks rather eye watering :shock:.

Iceman 8)

Sadly the cost of the supply logistics to the more remote locations will inevitably push up the pump price.
By Dodo
Kirkbride didn't answer the phone last time I needed a fuel stop but Carlisle did.

Shame really, I would have rather liked to have added Kirkbride to my logbook.

WRT Islay, thay have been pleasant and helpful on several occasions and the airfield also has more than one runway making it accessible when blowing a hooley in the "wrong direction," which is not unusual.
By 602fan
I took the last of his Avgas for private aircraft yesterday. He’s keeping a supply for the Hebridean Islander but that’ll stop on 17th, I think it is. Apparently the Council plan to install a fixed installation with payment by credit card. However I believe not only can the council not get their own planning permission, they can’t get a petroleum licence. So I wouldn’t expect a speedy resolution.

I had to loch-hop to Perth for fuel today...it was either that, or Inverness. There’ll be no Jet from 17th either I think. Coastguard, mil, polis and ambulance might very well take a view on all this.

Paul thoroughly deserves his retirement. Can’t fault him for working past retirement age
By 602fan
Iceman wrote:Yes, but just make sure that you go to the flying club rather than the standard handling agent.

Iceman 8)

Not at the moment. We’re taking DRAM to the airport’s handlers for fuel. I don’t think Prestwick Flying Club sell fuel to third parties but riverrock can confirm
Iceman liked this
By avtur3
602fan wrote:
.... Paul thoroughly deserves his retirement. Can’t fault him for working past retirement age ...

Paul's warm welcome and the generosity of his tea and jammie dodger offering are the stuff of legend

His contribution to the success of the airfield has always been undervalued and the inability of the airport to manage the change of circumstance demonstrates how good he has been and doesn't say much for the airport management.

As I said before much in common with soemone who organises a party in a brewery.
2Donkeys, FrankS, Iceman and 3 others liked this
By riverrock
On Prestwick - indeed. The Flying Club can self service (we have our own bowser) but you have to be a club member (and gone through training) to use it.

You used to be able to get fuel from Prestwick Flight Centre though? @602fan might know better than me, perhaps they now arrange the airport fueller to drive round? I assume DRAM is still kept there.
Dodo wrote:

The last time I was up that way Kirkbride did not have any Mogas so I used Carlisle and they were just fine. Plus Carlisle has a cafe wheras in the week its food only Wednesdays in the Hotel at Kirkbride.
riverrock wrote:On Prestwick - indeed. The Flying Club can self service (we have our own bowser) but you have to be a club member (and gone through training) to use it.

You used to be able to get fuel from Prestwick Flight Centre though? @602fan might know better than me, perhaps they now arrange the airport fueller to drive round? I assume DRAM is still kept there.

Prestwick flight centre fuels me when I’m up there. Relatively inexpensive for the facilities.
Recently though, Cumbernauld has had fuel cheaper than at my home base in England.