Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
About an hour ago, the Oban Airport Facebook page posted that there will be no Avgas until further notice. The comments suggest that this is due to Paul’s retirement, but basically if you are going to Oban or Glenforsa you probably want to phone Oban and confirm the fuel situation first.
No mention of this when I was refuelling there last Sunday. I didn't see Paul himself but his employee spoke of the annual military exercise coming up as being lucrative, not suggesting at all that Paul was retiring. I did hear from someone else that Paul's lease may be up though.

I see that there is a new NOTAM stating no AVGAS until 20/12/19.

Iceman 8)
Private Jet wrote:About an hour ago, the Oban Airport Facebook page posted that there will be no Avgas until further notice. The comments suggest that this is due to Paul’s retirement, but basically if you are going to Oban or Glenforsa you probably want to phone Oban and confirm the fuel situation first.

This hiccup is related to Paul's retirement/ winding down his business. Contract to supply Avgas has been awarded to a different supplier (over a year ago) who haven't yet put anything place to actually supply fuel, so in the long term Avgas will be back, but no estimates on when that might be.

Apparently the move is being coordinated by someone who is also responsible for arranging parties in breweries. :wink:
flyingdoug wrote:
matthew_w100 wrote:Where is the nearest alternative source?

Cumbernauld has self-service Avgas. Glasgow may be slightly closer, but the mandatory handling fees probably make it unrealistic for a fuel stop.

It's a long way from my favourite airfield!

Islay and Cambletown aren't much use, are they? Oban is a key player in West Coast touring.

What's Inverness like for GA?
Inverness not particularly user friendly since they introduced mandatory handling. An extra £25 on top of £20.01 landing fee and expensive avgas as well.

Perth shouldn’t be overlooked for a refuelling option which is not available out of Hours. They don’t have self service but you can use their pay at the pump facility in hours for a quick turn around.
Dodo wrote:Is Prestwick GA friendly?

Make sure you book ahead for the Flight Center (not flying club - the club can't handle non club members) as they have limited hours and if not booked you'll be sent to the airport's handlers who are great (friendly and efficient) but expensive.