Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By GrahamB
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
stevelup wrote:I think that was him gently suggesting to you that you were flying at the wrong FL for your heading ;)

Not necessarily the wrong direction, but almost certainly that you were at an IFR level when VFR. (SERA.5005.(g) refers.)
By PaulSS
@Gertie I have already filed a report to the Radio Police (RTFP) regarding your use of the word 'to' in conjunction with a flight level. Expect a fine, re-education classes and a few licks of the cat and let that be a lesson to you.

"G-CD, descending to FL55."

Edited to add the offending sin, lest you try and amend your confession.
By skydriller
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Gertie wrote:"G-CD, I see you are at FL60. If you were at FL55 or FL65 I could clear you through all my class D areas in one go."

stevelup wrote:I think that was him gently suggesting to you that you were flying at the wrong FL for your heading ;)
GrahamB wrote:

Not necessarily the wrong direction, but almost certainly that you were at an IFR level when VFR. (SERA.5005.(g) refers.)

Actually, on my last couple of higher altitude crossings of France, I have called up with a preferred (and correct for VFR) Flight Level in Class G and ATC has responded with an Altitude & QNH. I suspect this is due to the FIS controller also controlling the adjacent Controlled airspace and expecting to clear me through some of it later.

(FTAOD, this was not above FL75 - I rarely fly above 3000ft usually as I like looking at the view, but some of France can be quite boring to look at and bouncy... so sometimes...)

Regards, SD..