Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By GrimReaper
Morning everyone, I'm pleased to be able to confirm that the next Project Propeller event will be held on Sunday 21st June at Wolverhampton Halfpenny Green Airport.

Although we visited Wolverhampton only 2 years ago, most agreed that it was an extremely successful event, and from an administrative point of view, being able to simply refresh the logistics for the previous event is going to be a huge labour saver. In addition, Wolverhampton ticks off nearly all of our requirements: central location, long asphalt runway, ample space for aircraft parking, and hangar space to accommodate everybody.

Please could you put the date in your diaries - I will be sending out veteran invitations before Christmas, and commencing the rostering exercise in the New Year.

As ever, if you have any questions, please ask. :thumleft:
mmcp42, kanga, rats404 and 1 others liked this
By GrimReaper
Just a quick "bump" to remind everyone of the next event - I'm now getting replies back from veterans (currently at 60), and starting the rostering exercise.

As ever, if you've got a regular passenger, you'll be given first refusal to take them again.

If you're able & willing, please drop me a line to graham[at]projectpropeller.co.uk, with contact number, home field, aircraft type and registration, and I'll do my best to find you a passenger. With decreasing mobility, types like PA32s, PA46s and C172/182s are especially welcome.

As ever, feel free to shout if you have any queries.
By mmcp42
given the age profile of most of the veterans (and quite a few of the pilots!) will this still be going ahead in light of Covid-19?
By GrimReaper
With much regret, I must advise that the Project Propeller event scheduled for 21st June at Wolverhampton, Halfpenny Green, Airport has been cancelled owing to the current situation with the COVID-19 virus.

Our veteran guests are all extremely elderly and, therefore, most at risk if they become infected. We will watch future developments closely, listen to official Government advice and will aim to reschedule the event at the end of the summer if circumstances allow.

We wish all our veterans, pilots and other supporters all the very best in these difficult times
By johnm
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
That looks like a wise move. Things have been cancelled elsewhere right through to end of May, including the Chelsea Flower Show. AFAICS the best info is that things should be settling down by June, but not at a level where exposing veterans makes any sense....
By Jonzarno
Yes, I’m afraid I agree as well. It’s especially sad given that the age of the participants means that the number of future PPs is inevitably limited. Let’s hope that we can reschedule it as GR suggests.
By Rob L
Today I had a phone chat with "my" Veteran, Eddie. Fortunately, he's very well (self-isolating at 98 years old) and as cheerful as ever :thumleft: .

May I very politely ask all the pilots of Project Propeller to take the time to call "their" Veterans to make sure they're OK. A fresh voice on the phone will always be welcomed, I'm sure.
I'm aware most of you will be doing this anyway, so please forgive any impertinence on my part.

I have suggested to Eddie that he and I go flying later in the year, after this situation has passed. Perhaps just a personal flight, but maybe to meet up with other Veterans at a less formal or smaller, local gathering.

All the best to you and your Veterans,
Rob
johnm, matspart3, Jonzarno and 3 others liked this
By Charliesixtysix
Rob,
Let me know if you can make that happen please. I am in regular contact with my veteran too (by coincidence another Eddie) - he is at home, well and I’m sure up for a ride out after the smoke clears.
Rob L liked this