Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
defcribed wrote:
David Wood wrote:Maybe we should have a Mentoring forum here where only certain people are allowed to reply to questions to the panel...

The issue will of course be: who decides who replies? But actually we all know who the credible contributors are. Don't we?

Minimum qualifications to be:

1. CPL/IR obtained by some phenomenally obscure route
2. A considerable sense of self-importance
3. An insatiable desire to tell 100hr PPLs what they definitely shouldn't do

:lol:

Reminded me of this quote:

Isaac Asimov wrote:Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.
defcribed liked this
By TopCat
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Maxthelion wrote:If the aircraft was cleared for spinning and I had my parachute with me, then I would happily use a 15 turn spin to lose the height.

And if it wasn't and you didn't, a spiral dive at 60 degrees would achieve much the same thing, albeit with a bigger turn radius :D
By Highland Park
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
10,000 feet...? What is that mysterious figure of which you speak?! On the way back from Wickenby at the beginning of June, two of us thought we were doing well when we coaxed the Colt up to the dizzy height of 8,600 feet... :lol:

Ian
By Cessna571
Well,..

An issue with the aircraft (which was fixed by our onsite maintenance) meant that we didn’t leave till much later than we’d planned.

Wanting to get to the coast and mess about for a while, before landing at Beccles meant we didn’t bother with higher than 4500’

We did go and have a look at the wind farm near Great Yarmouth though.

The vis was amazing today though, we got to Bury St Edmunds and my passenger said “I think that’s an oil tanker”, and it was !!!

Amazing flight, but didn’t reach 10,000’
By MDS
Got up to 11,800' in a Cessna 150 last summer over north Yorkshire.

No particular reason besides the experiment. Only spent 5 minutes before boredom set in (and nervous about hypoxia) so descended down fairly quickly, carb heat on, engine warms every 1000ft, no issues.

Flew between Old Bucks and Breighton a few weeks later cruising at 9000' over NWI. Controller even remarked it was a bit stratospheric for a C150. :D