Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By TheFarmer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
....is fast approaching.

Cooler air, less traffic, better downward views of autumnal scenes, challenging wind changes throughout the day, quicker parts delivery from suppliers, less life-story wafflers on the radio, being flat out on the way home as the sun quickly falls, and most of all that sound of the engine clinking as it cools down quickly in the cold air after shut-down.

I’ve never really considered April —> September to be ‘the flying season’.

The best flying starts here, for me anyway.

Anyone else the same?
By PeteSpencer
After days of often gloomy low cloud there’s nothing like punching up through 800ft of low stratus to bright sunshine and bright blue sky / sunshine from horizon to horizon .

Suffolk in November, complete with Heiligenschein, (or is it Brocken Spectre ) through mucky perspex window

Peter
Last edited by PeteSpencer on Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kittyhawk, mick w liked this
have to agree. Autumn colours, long evening shadows, mists hanging in the hollows, better performance all round and home to a blazing log fire, great time to fly.....!
However the two most scary flying incidents I have had to date both happened in the autumn. Therefore Autumn and winter flights are always where possible to the west allowing a return to base with the sinking sun behind me. Close calls caused by traffic on a reciprocal tracking east who should have seen me, while I was hampered staring through scratched acrylic flying directly into sun .
By ChampChump
It's the best of times and the worst of times. Shorter days, more fog, gales and just weather, balanced by all the good things mentioned already. The quality of the light is rather special.

As we reach winter, in whichever iteration it is each year, the really glorious days take on a much higher value. IMO.

No photo unless I go a-googling to resize a photo.