Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Billstone
#1719211
I need to fly round a DA tomorrow, but would like to fly through it if possible. Its all new to me. The DA says active every day, then gives a contact number and frequency; does this mean its ok to phone up / call up and ask if the DA is active?
#1719218
Even if a DA is active, a crossing service is often available. No harm in calling on the landline, but do not expect whoever answers to immediately understand what you are talking about - you may have to explain the context of your call.

If you tell us which DA it is, someone here may have 1st hand experience.
Billstone liked this
By chevvron
#1719219
Billstone wrote:I need to fly round a DA tomorrow, but would like to fly through it if possible. Its all new to me. The DA says active every day, then gives a contact number and frequency; does this mean its ok to phone up / call up and ask if the DA is active?

Depends on the type of activity (you haven't said which DA it is) and what type of service the notified frequency offers.
If it's Danger Area Activity Information Service (DAAIS), they will know if the DA is active but will not be able to clear you through.
If it's Danger Area Crossing Service (DACS) they may be able to clear you through subject to the activity.
If you look along the bottom of a CAA published half mil, it will tell you what type of service is offered.
No harm trying to ring them as well though but you'll need to look in the AIP to find ot the actual name of the DA; often the operators (especially pongos) aren't aware of the DA number.
Billstone liked this
#1719229
I recently phoned the number for D036 and they said that they're always notified as active (weekdays) so I would have to call up on the radio to see if they were actually active when I wanted to cross. They said they were sometimes notified by those who were using it with as little as 5 minutes notice! :shock: :D
Billstone liked this
By chevvron
#1719260
Billstone wrote:Its DA 124 and upwards, North of Old Sarum. I'm going to ave toget home and look up the correct telephony for asking to transit a DA. :) Thanks for all the advice and information.

D124 aka 'Lavington' is where they 'prove' the barrels of artillery weapons by firing the shell vertically upwards, the height it reaches being dependent on the size of the propellant charge used.
Don't ask me how they avoid the shell when it comes back down 'cos I don't know!
I can remember an AN2 flying through the Salisbury Plain ranges some years ago on a sunday without clearance; the army were not amused as they had to stop firing and the pilot was heavily fined for endangering the safety of his aircraft.
By Stu B
#1719310
Recorded message at weekends usually states areas active to (only) 3,000'AMSL (I've never heard lower).
Beware of D126, D128 at the eastern end of the complex - standard top limits of 1,400 AMSL are quite frequently *substantially* raised by NOTAMs (even sometimes at weekends IIRC).
User avatar
By David Wood
#1719327
TopCat wrote:Has anyone ever had a reply from Salisbury Ops?

Yep. Occasionally I've wanted to fly over the danger areas, usually because a passenger wants to see something specific. Salisbury Ops have invariably been very helpful if they can. However I once got reported to the CAA for, errr I'm not sure what, by a member of the public I presume who was surprised to see me flying where light aeroplanes don't usually fly. Once the facts were explained the CAA were very understanding.
User avatar
By defcribed
#1719331
chevvron wrote:D124 aka 'Lavington' is where they 'prove' the barrels of artillery weapons


Horribly nerdy point of order with regard to the English language:

A barrel (or weapon) is proofed, not proven. Thus they do not prove the barrels, they proof them.

</t*sser mode off>

:pirat:
idlelayabout, kanga liked this
By chevvron
#1719365
TopCat wrote:Has anyone ever had a reply from Salisbury Ops?

If no reply from Salisbury Ops, try Netheravon Info on 128.3; it's often the same person doing both.
User avatar
By GrahamB
#1719386
defcribed wrote:
chevvron wrote:D124 aka 'Lavington' is where they 'prove' the barrels of artillery weapons


Horribly nerdy point of order with regard to the English language:

A barrel (or weapon) is proofed, not proven. Thus they do not prove the barrels, they proof them.

</t*sser mode off>

:pirat:

Further pont of order.

Small arms barrels are ‘proved’ (not ‘proven’ nor ‘proofed’) by a ‘Proof House’. A barrel which has failed, or not been submitted to, proof is termed ‘unproved’.

I would assume the same terms would be applied to larger bore weapons as well.
User avatar
By defcribed
#1719435
GrahamB wrote:
defcribed wrote:
chevvron wrote:D124 aka 'Lavington' is where they 'prove' the barrels of artillery weapons


Horribly nerdy point of order with regard to the English language:

A barrel (or weapon) is proofed, not proven. Thus they do not prove the barrels, they proof them.

</t*sser mode off>

:pirat:

Further pont of order.

Small arms barrels are ‘proved’ (not ‘proven’ nor ‘proofed’) by a ‘Proof House’. A barrel which has failed, or not been submitted to, proof is termed ‘unproved’.

I would assume the same terms would be applied to larger bore weapons as well.


You appear to be correct, my apologies, although proofed/proofing do appear to be in relatively common usage in shooting circles so it is hard to be sure.