Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Dodo
Just thinking about buying another aircraft to replace G-ATTI despite saying I would never do that.

Has to be metal so can live outside at least some of the time, ideally nosewheel, on an LAA permit, reasonably inexpensive to buy, and flyable long term on a UK PPL/NPPL.

The Bolkow 208C seems to tick most of the boxes but I have never flown one. There is one on AFORS at the moment.

I have more than 1500 fixed wing flying hours logged but mainly Cessna 150/152/172 and PA 28s with a bit of taildragger time (70 odd hours) in a Vagabond and a few hours in gliders & various 3 axis microlights.

Presumably learning to fly one would not be a difficult conversion, but perhaps it is?

Any info from 208C pilots, LAA inspectors etc would be very helpful

Thanks

Dodo
Designed initially as a US homebuilt in the 50s, then sold to SAAB who developed it a bit more and licensed production to Bölkow. Good quality construction. Small inside, but if I remember correctly the C model has a bit more room. Relatively fast for O-200 power, good visibility, climb rate not huge but OK.

OEM airframe parts available from Steinle Flugwerft in Germany, I think they bought MBB stock, but they are challenging to deal with. No credit cards, disorganized, orders require follow up and prodding. Mechanical parts (e.g. engine) are mostly standard, no problem from the usual suppliers.

There is an annual Bölkow fly-in in Germany, which could be a fun adventure.
Dodo liked this
By Dodo
I have just realised that the aircraft I am considering is on an LAA administered EASA permit. I had thought wrongly that it was simply an LAA permit aircraft.

Does anyone have an aircraft on a LAA administered EASA permit who can comment on the maintenance implications. Presumably it will still be more economical to maintain than an aircraft on an EASA C of A.

Also I suppose that there is no guarantee that it will remain flyable on a National Licence after April 2020.
I learnt to fly on TUI back in 1970 and still remember the 208c as a fun aircraft with good speed for its size. It is a little hard to equal like for like but throughout my instructing career the aircraft that replaced it in the smiles department was it's younger brother the 209 Monsun. A truly lovely little aircraft that I adored teaching on.
They are still around but do seem a bit pricey for their age. Worth looking at if you can find one or a share nearby.

What is not often known is that only around half the Junior's were moved to LAA permits before the door was closed and the rest remained under EASA. Those will be more expensive to maintain I guess.
Dodo liked this