Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By CloudHound
I can guarantee you there is no desire from BGA clubs or members for this to happen. The BGA is self sufficient and pre-dates both organisations.

And therein lies an obstacle to progress.

Thankfully Pete Stratten is more open to ideas.
By neilmurg
Skylaunch2 wrote:I can guarantee you there is no desire from BGA clubs or members for this to happen. The BGA is self sufficient and pre-dates both organisations.
There may be reasons for the BGA not to integrate, but 'I was here first' can't be one of them, and 'We'll join the people on the next floor' isn't a great reason.
That's not to say there aren't serious issues to discuss. But the deckchairs shouldn't be one of them.
Lockhaven, ChrisT, T67M liked this
By Crash one
There is definitely an anti power attitude among some glider pilots towards “us lot” that we don’t look where we’re going, can’t fly accurately enough, are not as safety conscious as we should be etc.
I have witnessed it. It is a rather childish attitude. “Steam gives way to sail” seems to be taken extremely seriously in their favour. In spite of the fact that modern gliders are far more maneuverable and safer without having to rely on the continued function of the Otto cycle.
I wish I knew why.
It would, I’m sure, cause friction if the two sections were to merge.
By On Glide
Well, most (circa 80%) of the 2,500 strong U.K. glider fleet are EASA aircraft and the BGA’s CAMO and associated maintenance and continued airworthiness processes are in place to support those aircraft, as is the Inspectorate. The non-EASA Annex 1 gliders’ airworthiness is looked after by the BGA Technical Committee and that system operates well and has done for many years. So the rationale for having a unified LAA/BMAA/BGA Engineering function doesn’t really exist.

Merging the BMAA and LAA does appear to me to make good sense for those organisations’ members.

OG
By JAFO
The Really Quite Light to Actually Rather Heavy Aircraft Association has a certain something - not a good something, I grant you, but a ring of truth.

I think @Flying_john has hit paydirt with the logo of the new association though.
By G-JWTP
The Kissimmee Bum wrote:
G-JWTP wrote:The Light and Microlight Aircraft Association.

It does have a sort of ring about it.

G-JWTP

I believed that the Popular Flying Association (PFA) did also.

How about the PAA.

The Proper Aircraft Association.

G-JWTP
By Sooty25
townleyc wrote:Wouldn't that rule out taildraggers :twisted:

OK - hat, coat...

KE

Yes, you probably should leave! :lol:
townleyc liked this