Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By kanga
.. blamed by NAO both on MoD requirements changing and on contractor failures. Who'd have thought it, when outsourcing to the private sector is usually such a brilliant success ? :roll:

https://www.airforce-technology.com/new ... nao-report
Kanga, stop making trouble. There is a soothing statement from the MOD in the article stating all is well.
:D
kanga liked this
By Jim Jones
About 5 years ago pilots in training were being dumped from RAF Linton on Ouse as they had more than they needed. Many came to local flying schools to convert to PPL and move to commercial licences. I guess that decision is catching up.

(They’ve been doing it with healthcare professionals for many years, cutting recruitment, and there’s been a feast/famine cycle all my working life.)

Are there not pilots in Europe who could fill the gap? :lol:

Edited to remove ambiguity
Last edited by Jim Jones on Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Rob L
Jim Jones wrote:About 5 years ago pilots in training were being dumped from RAF Linton on Ouse as they had more than they needed. Many came to local flying schools to convert to PPL and move to commercial licences. I guess that decision is catching up.

They’ve been doing it with healthcare professionals for many years, cutting recruitment, and there’s been a feast/famine cycle all my working life.

Are there not pilots in Europe who could fill the gap? :lol:

:wink: I'm a European pilot; I can wield a scalpel as good as anyone! What's a surgeon's pay?
By Rob L
Jim Jones wrote:(However, do you have a steady hand and strong bladder?)

I have a strong stomach, if that helps with the gory surgery!
Sorry for the diversion of your OP..

Back to Fast Jet pilot shortage.
By Balliol
[I’m not able to comment on the specific case] but I know it’s fashionable to bash outsourcing, but there are many examples where contracted and partnered solutions are delivering excellent equipment / infrastructure and far better service than we could achieve internally in the military. AirTanker is a very good example. Won’t always be cheap, and you have to give the contractor a stable requirement to achieve efficiency, but some impressive solutions are possible.
gaznav liked this
By johnm
Outsourcing can work well if the procurement focus is on value rather than simply driving the price down, but that's pretty rare because procurement are typically incentivised on "cheap" their outcome is often penny wise pound foolish.

It's best when the group who will work with the service provider are in control of the buying process supported by professional procurement folks.

For the avoidance of doubt this isn't political, it's not very different between public sector and large corporate.

This particular problem goes back to that silly idea of having pilots in military jets, which is slowly coming to an end :twisted:
By PaulSS
This particular problem goes back to that silly idea of having pilots in military jets, which is slowly coming to an end :twisted:

I seem to remember the Sand's Defence Policy saying much the same, as missiles were the solution to all things aviation. Likewise, guns were never going to be fitted to military aircraft as missiles were going to replace those as well. Yet, here we are and military aircraft have pilots and guns.

I think it will be a long time before the next genius suggests we replace 'missiles' with 'drones'.

Regarding the original problem; I think this has been as ever-recurring situation. The planners never seem to be able to get their act together and end up only ever reacting. This results of these reactions, of course, are seen some years later and by then someone has been out on the field moving posts.
kanga liked this
By Bill McCarthy
Is the slowdown in training requirement down to the large amounts of Typhoons out of service due to “store-robbing” parts from one to the other to keep them serviceable. :twisted:
Not before long we will have another aircraft carrier in service with no aircraft to fill them. As for drones - the carriers could be a feasible launch platform for them, with their pilots based at home in the U.K.
By cockney steve
How does a missile differ from a rocket-powered drone? It is launched and navigates itself to a programmed-in target.

AIUI, these missiles each cost enough to afford an individual a very comfortable retirement.

I find war and violence distasteful, but the profligacy, destruction and environmental damage of modern warfare is nothing other than obscene. :(
By gaznav
I find war and violence distasteful, but the profligacy, destruction and environmental damage of modern warfare is nothing other than obscene. :(

So is having your freedom and civil liberties taken away. The world always has been, and always will be, full of nasty people who want to do that to you - just be grateful that you have equally nasty people on your side willing to do the same, so that you can stay tucked up, nice and safe, with a cup of Horlicks in bed at night...

:thumright:
kanga, NickC, Rob P and 6 others liked this