Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Lefty
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
dublinpilot wrote:Bringing this back on topic, is there any guidance yet on what the procedures will be for those of us wanting to fly into the UK from the EU (and return back home again!)?

Will it still be land/take off anywhere with sufficient notice and a GAR? Or will we all be required to go through an airport with permanent customs present?

The Common Travel Area has never been cancelled (IFAIK). (It certainly still exists in respect of animals / pets travelling back and forth without restriction).

I fully expect that UK and Irish citizens will continue to be able to travel back and forth.
By johnm
As long as neither the UK nor the Irish Republic is within Schengen the EU is irrelevant to the CTA.
By Lefty
We appear to be in two distinct camps.
The doomsday group - who can only see an imminent and irrecoverable disaster
The pragmatic "wait and see what transpires" group

Only 8 weeks till we find out which group is right.
By James Chan
Has anyone managed to work out how - or if - we can fly to France after October 31st?

The things I know are what the CAA, UK Government, and EASA have published. Governments in member states have also published other materials.

Where it is not mentioned in these documents, my own conservative planning scenario is that France (or any other EU country) will treat UK citizens, pets, onboard goods, and UK registered aircraft as coming from a “third” country (I.e. not much different from countries like Russia or Tunisia), unless some other arrangement is in place.

Practically speaking I am expecting longer processing times going through customs/immigration inspection at an EU port of entry, and some increased paperwork. Plus a stamp in and out on the passport.

I am not expecting UK citizens having to obtain visas for tourism, but it would depend on what the UK’s visa policy is, for citizens of each EU country, as visa policies often work reciprocally.
Last edited by James Chan on Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By James Chan
I have no idea how the ROI will continue to implement the Common Travel Area if there was no deal, but worst case is that they won’t be able to anymore in order to protect the EU’s four freedoms and single market.

So I would then expect them to treat my entry and exit as any other EU country would do post Brexit.
Last edited by James Chan on Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
By johnm
This thread highlights the difficulties we are all facing, which is lack of clarity in new arrangements replacing old leading to confusion.
By jwoolard
We need to separate the immigration issues (people) from the customs issues (goods).

The EU has freedom of movement. So does the CTA. This means that people have the right to travel (although not necessarily the right to travel without being checked).

Schengen is a common area for immigration purposes. This means that people can, in practice, travel without being checked.

The EU has free movement of goods. Goods (and that includes parcels, boot-loads of wine, trucks carrying food, things carried on aeroplanes and so on) are not checked when moving between countries.

After Brexit, the UK will still be a member of the CTA, so people can move between the UK and Ireland but will still need to be checked as per CTA rules (GAR forms etc.).

The UK will not be a member of the EU, so people will not have an automatic right to travel to the EU. However, it is possible/likely that there will be reciprocal visa-waiver arrangements in place and that most people won't notice any difference in practice.

The big change will be that ALL goods will need to be checked. This is a pretty hard fact unless some a transitional agreement is put in place that keeps the UK inside the customs union.

This means that anyone getting off the ferry at Calais, Dover, Fishguard, Rosslare etc. will need to take all of their goods through customs checks. I don't think light aviation can honestly expect any alleviation from the same set of rules.

The result may well be that we need to fly to and from a customs designated airfield on trips between the UK and Ireland and the UK and the continent. This will be a huge restriction as many of the current "immigration" designated airfields are not "customs" designated.

The RYA has some excellent guidance here: https://www.rya.org.uk/knowledge-advice ... rexit.aspx
By patowalker
Has anyone managed to work out how - or if - we can fly to France after October 31st?

Unlike James, I have been able to work it out. There will be no change. I will test my theory on 1st Nov and report back. :)

I put my faith in GEN 1.2 , this decree regulating extra-Schengen flights and this EU regulation exempting me of the need for a visa.
Last edited by patowalker on Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By johnm
patowalker wrote:

Unlike James, I have been able to work it out. There will be no change. I will test my theory on 1st Nov and report back. :)

I put my faith in GEN 1.2 , this decree regulating extra-Schengen flights and this EU regulation exempting me of the need for a visa.

I'm pretty sure that's right, the other question is what about my 'plane load of Luc's wine from Cherbourg, will we back to duty free allowances? It would be hilarious if the Brexiters discovered they'd voted to ban the booze cruise :-)
By SteveX
johnm wrote:
patowalker wrote:

I'm pretty sure that's right, the other question is what about my 'plane load of Luc's wine from Cherbourg, will we back to duty free allowances? It would be hilarious if the Brexiters discovered they'd voted to ban the booze cruise :-)

Only a moron still does a 'booze cruise' who has not looked at prices in Bargain Booze.
By johnm
Only a moron still does a 'booze cruise' who has not looked at prices in Bargain Booze.

Not my end of the market, so no clue :lol:
By G-BLEW
Boss Man  Boss Man
The thing with light touch moderation is that it requires posters to engage in some self moderation. That is clearly missing from some posts in this thread which, amongst other things

- Has strayed too far from GA
- Has breached the no politics rule. Again.
- Has at least one post that shows needless aggression

Ian