Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By davef77
The ailerons on my CAP 231 EX are hinged about 2 to 2 1/2” behind the leading edge. There are slots cut into each aileron for each of the three hinges about 3/4” wide. The hinge itself is about 3/16 in wide.

This leaves a fair gap all around the hinge.

(The £10 note is there for size, and to hold your attention :D )

Today, after months of procrastinating, I gap-sealed the hinges. I used 3M prop-tape to significantly reduce the size of the gap, on the top and bottom surface.

The idea is that the high-pressure air won’t leak so quickly to the low-pressure side and so the effectiveness of the control is increased.

So how did it go?

Well I went flying afterwards and the difference was significant and impressive. The ailerons on my plane are good, but with these little gaps sealed there are now significantly more powerful.

The effect doesn’t feel linear, the overall roll-rate has increased a bit, maybe as much as 5% at a guess. The real difference is in the acceleration of the roll-rate. It now goes from zero to whatever you have input MUCH more quickly, the result is a significantly crisper feel to the ailerons, which makes them feel even more powerful than they did before.

Not sure if this is interesting to anyone else, but I had fun and am very pleased with the result. 8)
Flyin'Dutch', Dave W, mick w and 2 others liked this
By Flyin'Dutch'
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
The Maule we had at the strip came without gap seals and VGs.

Flaring with the power off was a mighty heave until we had the gap seals fitted. Transformed the whole experience.

The VGs not only brought the stall speed down a bit but also made roll control a lot lot better.

In short I can fully understand that you are pleased.
By Chris Martyr
Rob L wrote:Is the CAP231EX certified (in the UK) or on a permit to fly? @davef77 you'll understand my question :D

You mean in competitive aerobatics Rob ??...

I'm sure if Dave applies a strip of red paint along that tape , he'll be just fine . :wink:
By Rob L
Chris Martyr wrote:
Rob L wrote:Is the CAP231EX certified (in the UK) or on a permit to fly? @davef77 you'll understand my question :D

I'm sure if Dave applies a strip of red paint along that tape , he'll be just fine . :wink:

No. I meant is it certified (EASA in the UK) or is it on a permit (either EASA or LAA)? I thought my question was rather straightforward; it appears not :?:
By Flyin'Dutch'
Rob L wrote:
Chris Martyr wrote:

No. I meant is it certified (EASA in the UK) or is it on a permit (either EASA or LAA)? I thought my question was rather straightforward; it appears not :?:

I think we all understood the question and the answers...
By Chris Martyr
Rob L wrote:Well hey-ho, It was a honest question! I'll nip over to non-av and post something of no great importance :roll: .

Come on Rob,,,calm down mate . :D

I wasn't attempting to demean your post . But simply enquiring if such a minor mod would have any implications in an aerobatics competition .

Nip over to 'non-av' by all means mate . Most of the posts there have as much relevance as most of the posts here .

Or perhaps @davef77 can post an answer without biting my head orff... :D
By David Wood
I did the same on the aileron and elevator gaps on my Tiger Moth a few years ago. I'd hoped for an improvement in the glacial roll-rate, which I'm afraid eluded me or was so small that I didn't notice :D . It did however make a significant difference to the elevator trim position in level flight evidencing the fact that the gap-sealed elevators provided considerably more lift at the rear than the non-sealed ones.