Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By kanga
Instructor Errant wrote:@kanga

It hasn’t made any difference whether I have have one or two radios.

The transit request is made to Radar where during the quieter periods ..

thanks for clarification. My only (possibly irrelevant or trivial point) is that it seems to me to be easier to do such 'frequency monitoring for awareness, including of CAT traffic density' if there's a 'spare' radio (or channel of a radio, eg the Standby frequency) if you're flying in an area where being simultaneously tuned for 2-way communication on some other frequency might be prudent. Oh, and also if there's another pilot (eg the handling one) to share the comms (and nav, and handling) mode. But for a FI, Errant or not, such extra workload may also seem trivial. In Class G near Bristol this may be less demanding than, say, in or near Class D or RMZ areas near Farnborough ..
Yes, it does add some extra workload wherever in the country you do it. Crossing controlled airspace itself adds some extra workload and the suggestion was written with the assumption that a pilot who wanted to cross controlled airspace would have assessed they have either sufficient personal capacity or a second pair of cockpit hands and thus may want to listen to another frequency to build a picture of what else was going on. If, however, they don’t have sufficient personal capacity or an extra pair of cockpit hands they may not want to and simply make the call or route around.
kanga liked this
I last flew on 11th March. I was flying under Bristol's CTA on the listening squawk below 1500' when I encountered some unpleasant turbulence in the lee of the Mendip Hills. Asked for a climb into their CTA which I was given promptly. Much smoother! Always worth filing a FCS1521 if refused. It is not a criticism, just informative. I have it on my home screen and it only takes a minute.
kanga liked this