Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
Flew Gatwick to Edinburgh one very clear and frosty February morning or dozen or so years ago. As we turned east abeam Dorking, Didcot's plumes appeared to be in the next parish and those power stations that follow the route of the Trent and the others in the Midlands were already clearly visible as we turned north over Biggin. Probably the best day time visibility of any flight I've made.
neil9327 liked this
By Paul_Sengupta
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Brooklands wrote:I've always maintained that as long as I could see Didcot power station I wasn't completely lost

Brooklands,
now permanently unsure of position

I replied to a thread earlier in the week on the upcoming demolition with the hashtag #Foreverlost - obviously with a dual meaning.
Dave W, Spooky liked this
By Full Metal Jackass
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Brooklands wrote:I saw on the BBC website yesterday that they were being demolished this morning, thought about going to watch, but didn't fancy getting up at 5am, and then completely forgot about it.

Snoozing in bed this morning I heard a couple of dull explosions (I'm 7nm away from Didcot) and wondered what was going on until the 7 o'clock news came on to remind me.

I've always maintained that as long as I could see Didcot power station I wasn't completely lost

Brooklands,
now permanently unsure of position

Brooklands, soon to be receiving an invite to attend Gasco session.... along with yours truly...... :lol: :lol:
Jim Jones wrote:The value of those houses top left will have had a lift.
My gaff is in that there photo watched them all come down and the suffered powercut that followed. Oh the irony.

The Chimney will come down in the next month or 2.

It's good for the town and progress but will be strange not seeing them from all around.

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk
Hooligan wrote:Flew Gatwick to Edinburgh one very clear and frosty February morning or dozen or so years ago. As we turned east abeam Dorking, Didcot's plumes appeared to be in the next parish and those power stations that follow the route of the Trent and the others in the Midlands were already clearly visible as we turned north over Biggin. Probably the best day time visibility of any flight I've made.

120 miles or so from Biggin to Nottingham (where the Trent is).
http://www.ringbell.co.uk/info/hdist.htm
Gives a minimum altitude of around 10,000 feet to be able to see that far. So plausible.
neil9327 wrote:
Popeye wrote:Next it will be Calshot chimney on the Solent, always a useful landmark to aviators and seafarers alike.

When I flew over a few weeks ago there were some wind turbines lying on the ground awaiting construction - maybe they'll be a replacement landmark.

No, they build them locally and store them there before shipping out to wherever. Ugly things to my mind, thank God it's in the New Forest National Park and they'd never get planning permission. I'll miss the chimney, though what's bad is that I remember them building and comissioning that power station!