Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Miscellaneous
TheFarmer wrote:See.

Us farmers aren’t all that bad.

I’ll happily provide a car and hangarage to a visitor FOC to 99% of the people I know who fly.

Now then, that could save me flying in to Bristol Easyjet at the end of the month and having to hire a car for 5 days. :D :lol:
By ls8pilot
It would be interesting to know where all the aircraft are now based.

CAA figures show that in 1985 there were 5,785 fixed wing, 166 Gyro and 430 Helicopters aircraft below 5,700 Kg plus 1580 Microlights.

By 2019 this has increased to 8,869 fixed wing, 376 Gyros, 1098 Helicopters, and 3918 Microlights

So that is a net increase of some 7,500 GA aircraft (more than double)...... so if number of airfields is decreasing where have they gone.... have we seen a big increase in smaller strips? I know places like Popham are much bigger now but not sure about the rest.
By James Chan
It's very kind for farmers to offer their private strips for people to use. :thumleft:

Although one slight problem with this, is that the public may then be less inclined to petition council(s) for the adequate planning and safeguarding of new / existing public-use aerodromes.

A little bit more predicability of being able to access an established public-use aerodrome in these "dead spots" may be better - as farms may understandably close whenever this land is needed for crops and livestock, or when the neighbours complain their "front drive" is starting to get a bit busy. :D
By flybymike
So that is a net increase of some 7,500 GA aircraft (more than double)...... so if number of airfields is decreasing where have they gone.... have we seen a big increase in smaller strips? I know places like Popham are much bigger now but not sure about the rest.

I would be more interested to see aircraft numbers and pilot licence numbers and hours flown statistics over say the last 15 years or so.
I suspect they may not paint such a rosy picture.
By Sooty25
ls8pilot wrote:It would be interesting to know where all the aircraft are now based.

CAA figures show that in 1985 there were 5,785 fixed wing, 166 Gyro and 430 Helicopters aircraft below 5,700 Kg plus 1580 Microlights.

By 2019 this has increased to 8,869 fixed wing, 376 Gyros, 1098 Helicopters, and 3918 Microlights

I think the figure you really need is how many are airworthy. When researching one particular aircraft, trying to find one that might be for sale, I discovered nearly half of them were long term grounded.
By skydriller
ls8pilot wrote:So that is a net increase of some 7,500 GA aircraft (more than double)...... so if number of airfields is decreasing where have they gone....

Well 4 of them are at my aerodrome in France. And it seems many aerodromes in France now have at east one resident Golf... We also have a Delta too... I think it might just be EASA related.

Regards, SD..
By chevvron
Only just discovered we 'lost' anothe r a few years ago.
Hucknall (the grass bit) apparently closed in about 2015, the hard runway already having been closed by Rolls Royce.
I don't know what's happening to Tollerton now but I bet anyone who moved there is highly p1ssed off, Gamston also.
That means a large 'hole' around the Nottingham area unless someone re-opens Newton.
Last edited by chevvron on Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.