Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By carlmeek
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I’ve come across an RV7 that’s cleared for Aeros but not for intentional spinning.

Anyone know why?
By Ben Twings
It's in the TADS limitations.

I don't know specifically, but I'm guessing it was the sudden increase in rotation rate after about 2 turns that is noticeable especially on the side-by-side versions.

Up to that point recovery is normally very quick after centering the controls.

They do stipulate "standard" P-A-R-E recovery from inadvertent spins.
By foxmoth
That is normal for both the 6 and 7, you do spin them during the approval process and I had an interesting moment doing this on our 7 when the engine stopped in a spin to the right!
By Charliesixtysix
Vans SB 02-6-1 has some useful background reading and the LAA have adopted Vans recommendation that RV6 and 7 are not suitable for recreational spinning.

http://www.lightaircraftassociation.co. ... 02-6-1.pdf

Having said that, our RV7 gave no cause for concern throughout the LAA Aerobatic flight test schedule and recovered predictably and promptly from each spin during the test flight.
By carlmeek
That’s really interesting info, thanks :)

I reckon it’s an RV4 or 8 for me. The hunt begins!
By Charliesixtysix
RV4 is effectively solo only for aeros - spins limited to max 3 turns

http://www.lightaircraftassociation.co. ... %20RV4.pdf

The RV8 is the more useful machine if you intend to fly aeros two up - but be aware spins are limited to max 2 turns.

http://www.lightaircraftassociation.co. ... %20RV8.pdf

Also, you will probably already know that LAA aircraft require individual assessment and approval for aerobatics on an airframe by airframe basis - however, not all RV3/4/6/7/8 have that approval and it is worth checking at pre-purchase time in case there is a show stopper for any reason.
By foxmoth
not all RV3/4/6/7/8 have that approval and it is worth checking at pre-purchase time in case there is a show stopper for any reason.

Are there any that have not been approved because of a problem with the aircraft? All the ones that I have seen not approved for aeros it has been because it was not required by the builder, approval is fairly straightforward and I would not turn down buying an RV because it was not Aeros cleared, though I might make the purchase subject to a successful approval!
By Charliesixtysix
Not many that I know of. Some earlier RV3 needed (upgraded spar?) mod incorporating - I believe some engine/airframe combinations can be an issue for aeros approval too.

Good luck with trying to impose a condition when buying an RV in the current market - not many hang around waiting for buyers to come along and there would most likely be several behind you with cash in hand. :wink:
By foxmoth
not many hang around waiting for buyers to come along and there would most likely be several behind you with cash in hand. :wink:

Whilst this is true I think many buyers in the queue would also want the aeros clearance and might be saying much the same.
By hatzflyer
Interesting reading this thread.
The first RV4 imported into the UK was G-BROP aka G-NADZ.
It was allegedly the first RV4 to fly , beating Van's own one by a small margin in the USA.
When it was imported into the UK it was flown by Bob Cole for CAA/LAA clearance. It was fitted with a strip about an inch wide on the rear of the rudder to improve spin recovery at the request of LAA engineering even though that was not specified or suggested in Bob's report and as far as I know no others were fitted to any other RV4s.