Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By matthew_w100
Indeed. From the list from Apple French mobile operators would appear not to support AML. Nor German ones. Maybe we *do* need the "three words" app being touted.
By PaulB
matthew_w100 wrote:Indeed. From the list from Apple French mobile operators would appear not to support AML. Nor German ones. Maybe we *do* need the "three words" app being touted.

But do they do that......
By Lerk
Cheap PLB
By stevelup
Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:28 am#1713531
Good move disabling it. So when you come off your bike and shatter the screen and are lying in a ditch with a broken leg, you now can’t make an emergency call!

I’d say you were the perfect candidate to benefit from this feature.

In fairness, if I was able to use my phone well enough to press the buttons in whatever convoluted way I needed to to activate this, I’d be able to press 999/112 and have a conversation.

In any case I never went out alone so a mate would be able to assist.
By simon32
I understand France and Italy will be implementing AML next year. My car insurance has an application with geolocalisation. When I had a breakdown I was surprised how quickly a breakdown truck arrived.
Simon
By Private Jet
The RYA have an app called SafeTrx that either lets you set a sailing plan with an ETA or tracks your location and sends it at intervals to their back end. In the event that you are reported overdue, the coastguard can retrieve your last known position. I’m not sure whether this could be used for over water journeys in aircraft or not.
By kanga
Private Jet wrote:The RYA have an app called SafeTrx that.. tracks your location and sends it at intervals ...

presumably, position reports can be sent only when within range of a mobile 'phone service onshore .. at yacht speeds, even the wider bits of the English Channel or Irish Sea would have some lengthy (in time) gaps; less of a problem at aircraft speeds, but of course, none of us would connect to a 'phone mast while airborne, violating OfCom rules :roll:
By stevelup
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Lerk wrote:In fairness, if I was able to use my phone well enough to press the buttons in whatever convoluted way I needed to to activate this, I’d be able to press 999/112 and have a conversation.

Not with a smashed screen!

In any case I never went out alone so a mate would be able to assist.

Fair enough!