Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By David Wood
Lockhaven wrote: but getting an examiner to certify it every year would make more sense if you are really that way inclined.

I slightly despair at what seems like a growing fetish for 'certification'. How in God's name would an examiner be able to certify that all the entries in a passing pilot's log book are correct? I certainly wouldn't do so if asked to, unless I was in the extraordinarily unlikely position of being able to vouch for each and every one of his flights.

As HoT I did have to certify that all of a student's log book entries were correct, but that was because in a closed environment such as an ATO one was able to cross-reference them all against the student's training records and, if necessary against the accounts. Even so, invariably there were mistakes that needed ironing out in one or the other before I was moderately happy to sign. And when you have a student in from another school with a training record you didn't supervise and can't easily verify it's a moot point as to how valid any such 'certification' can really be.

But qualified pilots breezing in to have their log books certified...? No way.
By Boxkite
Genghis the Engineer wrote: - but as EASA requires a "I certify this is a true record" signature from the holder on every page of a logbook, do that against the copied over summary on page 1 of the new book, and you should be fine.

G

But then you'd have to sign to certify that your signature is true and genuine.....
TheFarmer, TopCat, JAFO liked this
By Boxkite
flybymike wrote:This is what makes a mockery of the two CAA Interviews at £105 each for lost logbooks. ( plus travelling costs and hassle)

At the end of the day the only person who knows whether the logbook entries are correct is the pilot who entered them.

https://www.caa.co.uk/Commercial-indust ... -logbooks/

:shock:
WTF.
An interview at £105 (plus a day off and other expenses) to "determine the evidence that an individual will be required to obtain" to take back to the second interview.
This covers spamcans and commercial!
What planet are they on?
By patowalker
Not at all. I think it came about because they realised some pilots were abusing the previous arrangements.

With immediate effect, the CAA will no longer accept the submission of a sworn affidavit as the primary means of accepting hours for the grant of a licence, rating, certificate or the revalidation and extension/or removal of restriction of privileges where an individual is unable to provide logbook evidence of their required hours due to loss, damage, theft or data corruptio
By patowalker
They can't possibly require you to prove all the entries are genuine, but they can ask you to produce supporting evidence from any number of sources, such as school training records, aircraft logbooks, rental records, fuel duty drawback, annuals, etc.

A sworn affidavit could hide Parker pen hours. If I appear overly suspicious, it's because I have spent most of my life in countries where people easily confuse fact and fiction. :)
By flybymike
Could be tricky.

My training records from 36 years ago at a school which no longer exists are not available.

My rental records from the same school are not available.

The aircraft logs from the same school are not available.

I’ve never drawn back a litre of fuel duty in my life.

The annuals and individual pilot flight records from previously group owned aircraft are not available. Several of these aircraft have even been sold overseas.
By Gertie
flybymike wrote:My training records from 36 years ago at a school which no longer exists are not available.

But my flying club invoices and credit card records are. (Not from quite as long ago as that, and it would involve some scrabbling around in the attic, but I could find them if it were really necessary.)

Whenever I rent a plane I insist on them printing me a proper invoice as a backup for the logbook.
By TLRippon
Hang on a mo!
So I’ve entered the data in my logbook, I’ve entered the data in my aircraft tech log, I’ve filled in all the daily flight sheets.
I’ve filled in all three aircraft logbooks.
I could have Parkered the lot, so what “Proof” do I have?
By patowalker
You will have to hope the person who interviews you at the CAA is gullible, but it is more likely that the first thing he will do is go to GINFO and check the history of your aircraft.
By PeteSpencer
flybymike wrote:Could be tricky.

My training records from 36 years ago at a school which no longer exists are not available.

My rental records from the same school are not available.

The aircraft logs from the same school are not available..

Interestingly I did my PPL in 1992 at Ipswich Airport(RIP). Four years later the council sold the airfield for commercial building and the three schools either closed down or scattered to the winds.

Fast forward to 2008 when I was doing the IR with FD & Sandy's mob I needed to knock off the NQ. I went to a school at Cambridge to sign on. I gave my name:
'Hang on a mo, ' sez the nice man who promptly strolled over to a row of filing cabinets and fished out my Ipswich PPL records: Turns out I'd enrolled at the successor to my defunct school.(different name)

I take my logbook to a local print shop every 3 months where they photocopy the opened pages in a neat and readable manner.
No computerisation for me. :wink:

Peter
kanga, Lockhaven, flybymike liked this