Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By T67M
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
The CAA has published some requirements for the use of EFBs aboard aircraft in SRG1849. As I read it, these are mandatory for many types of aircraft operation, including SPO operations (which I think includes aerobatics), and in some cases (mainly CAT) requires formal approval from the CAA. My initial skim read suggests that popular GA EFBs such as Skydemon do not comply.
By PaulB
How is an Electronic Flight Book defined?
By Flyin'Dutch'
T67M wrote:The CAA has published some requirements for the use of EFBs aboard aircraft in SRG1849. As I read it, these are mandatory for many types of aircraft operation, including SPO operations (which I think includes aerobatics), and in some cases (mainly CAT) requires formal approval from the CAA. My initial skim read suggests that popular GA EFBs such as Skydemon do not comply.

I have only read the SPO/NCC bits but cannot see anything that would preclude the use of an iPad as EFB including the use of SkyDemon.

By G-BLEW
Boss Man  Boss Man
T67M wrote:The CAA has published some requirements for the use of EFBs aboard aircraft in SRG1849. As I read it, these are mandatory for many types of aircraft operation, including SPO operations (which I think includes aerobatics), and in some cases (mainly CAT) requires formal approval from the CAA. My initial skim read suggests that popular GA EFBs such as Skydemon do not comply.

A quick read suggests…

- We can ignore the commercial bit
- We can ignore the NCC bit
- Most of us don't need to worry about Part SPO
- Aeros doesn't seem to be an activity covered by Part SPO

SPO stuff here

As you were…

Ian
Flyin'Dutch', T67M, johnm and 3 others liked this
By Cub
Wot the boss said although interestingly I believe some parties to whom the process is applicable have already been successful in their application to incorporate SD in a regulated environment.
Flyin'Dutch', T67M liked this
By bookworm
I participated in the very short subtask that EASA ran to do the NCO part of "Transposition of provisions on Electronic Flight Bags (EFBs) from ICAO Annex 6".

The blame for the utterly disproportionate regulatory approach to Electronic Flight Bags in simple GA aircraft lies squarely with ICAO, who introduced it, quite unnecessarily, into Annex 6 Part II. EASA was quite determined to put the lightest touch on this for NCO, and did a good job of it, though the regulatory hooks are a bit odd, as it is tacked on to the rule on PEDs. I've copied the provisions below. The AMCs generally offer sensible advice. The change was introduced on 9 July.

NCO.GEN.125 Portable electronic devices
The pilot-in-command shall not permit any person to use a portable electronic device (PED) on board
an aircraft, including an electronic flight bag (EFB), that could adversely affect the performance of the
aircraft systems and equipment or the ability of the flight crew member to operate the aircraft.

AMC1 NCO.GEN.125 Portable electronic devices (PEDs)
ELECTRONIC FLIGHT BAGS (EFBS) — HARDWARE
(a) EFB viewable stowage
When a viewable stowage device is used, the pilot-in-command should ensure that, if the EFB
moves or is separated from its stowage, or if the viewable stowage is unsecured from the aircraft
(as a result of turbulence, manoeuvring, or other action), it will not jam flight controls, damage
flight deck equipment, or injure any person on board.
The viewable stowage device should not be positioned in such a way that it obstructs visual or
physical access to aircraft controls and/or displays, flight crew ingress or egress, or external
vision. The design of the viewable stowage device should allow the user easy access to any item
of the EFB system, and notably to the EFB controls and a clear view of the EFB display while in
use.
(b) Cables
If cables are used to connect an EFB to an aircraft system, power source, or any other
equipment:
(1) the cables should not hang loosely in a way that compromises task performance and
safety; flight crew should be able to easily secure the cables out of the way during
operations (e.g. by using cable tether straps); and
(2) the cables should be of sufficient length so that they do not to obstruct the use of any
movable device on the flight deck.

AMC2 NCO.GEN.125 Portable electronic devices (PEDs)
ELECTRONIC FLIGHT BAGS (EFBs) — FUNCTIONS
(a) Familiarisation
The pilot-in-command should familiarise himself or herself with the use of the EFB hardware and
its applications on the ground before using them in flight for the first time.
A user guide should be available for the pilot-in-command.
(b) Check before flight
Before each flight, the pilot-in-command should perform the following checks to ensure the
continued safe operation of the EFB during the flight:
(1) general check of the EFB operation by switching it ON and checking that the applications
they intend to use in flight are adequately operative;
(2) check of the remaining available battery power, if applicable, to ensure the availability of
the EFB during the planned flight;
(3) check of the version effectivity of the EFB databases, if applicable (e.g. for charts,
performance calculation and weight and balance applications); and
(4) check that an appropriate backup is available when a chart application or an application
displaying aircraft checklists is used.
(c) Chart applications
The navigation charts that are depicted should contain the necessary information in an
appropriate format, to perform the operation safely. Consideration should be given to the size
of the display to ensure legibility.
(d) Performance calculation and weight and balance functions or applications
Prior to the first use of a performance calculation or weight and balance function or application,
and following any update of the database supporting the function or the application, a check
should be performed on the ground to verify that the output of the application corresponds with
the data derived from the AFM (or other appropriate sources);
(e) Airport moving map display (AMMD) application
An AMMD application should not be used as a primary means of navigation for taxiing, but as a
confirmation of outside visual references.
(f) Other functions
If advanced functions on non-certified devices that display information related to the aircraft
position in flight, navigation, surroundings in terms of e.g. terrain or traffic, or attitude are used,
the pilot in command should be aware of the potential misleading or erroneous information
displayed and should only use these functions as an advisory or supplementary means.
By Dusty_B
Commercial aerobatics (including ‘experience flights’) come under Part-SPO.

Private and training aerobatic flights will come under Part NCO-SPEC.

There is nothing particularly onerous with the new CAP; it is mostly common sense - are your devices safe, secure, reliable, accurate... and have you mitigated any likely failures.

If you use SkyDemon as a primary map source (NB - Not necessarily a GPS device), then it is an EFB. If you use a paper chart and/or IFR GPS and SD is just along for the ride (beeping and logging in the background) then it could just be a PED.
By Lefty
flybymike wrote:I wonder if the final paragraph could be taken to imply that non certified GPS should not be used for primary navigation.

Only if you want it to !
I don’t read it that way at all. Only that if a non certified device is being used, the commander must satisfy himself that he understands all possible risks associated with the use of that device and has taken appropriate steps to mitigate those risks.

If you go looking for problems - you are already 80% of the way to finding them.