Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By chrisbl
PlaneStupid wrote:
Gustosomerset wrote:At the risk of having missed this earlier in the debate (if I have, apologies) - what do people think the owner's strategy really is?

"The Wiltshire Core Strategy (CS) Core Policy 25 supported the principle of new development at the Airfield but sought to strike an appropriate balance between the flying activity and the amenity of the residents of Salisbury."
So the planners are happy in principle for the owners to build new houses - though evidently not as many as he wanted. But the principle of such development is based on a balance with flying activity. Remove the flying activity and you remove any chance of achieving that balance.
Do people seriously believe that the owner is thus undermining the chances of a revised application (at least in the near future) simply in a fit of pique? That seems unlikely to me...

I think a compromise on housing numbers could easily have been achieved that would have mollified the residents and ensured the continued flying at OS. However, the owner - apart from removing 13 hangar homes homes from the original application, which were neither here or there anyway - has refused to negotiate or attempt to come to any form of understanding.

I popped up yesterday to have a look. Admittedly, it was a warm day but the whole place was buzzing with activity around the GoSkyDive operation. People were using the cafe facilities and seemed to be really enjoying themselves. If OS has that sort of captive audience and footfall, why the heck aren’t they cashing in and marketing their ground facilities to help subsidise the operation? In the couple of hours I was there, the Cessna Caravan transporting the parachutists was on the go constantly. Just ONE private aircraft took off. In 2014 there were 95 planes registered there - today there are 25 and yet Compton Abbas has a waiting list for hangarage. Doesn’t make sense.

I dont think so. The fixed costs of a development would have to be shared over a smaller number of homes which could make them uncompetitive. Its the general infrastructure like services and sewerage as well as site clearance etc that needs a reasonable number of homes to make the development work.
By CloudHound
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Agree in part.

Fixed costs though don't apply across all components of the scheme, so reducing the number of dwellings also reduces infrastructure costs.

There's also the mix of properties, so generally lots of small ones vs fewer big ones.

I worked in spec house building for years but left the economics to a chap at the end of the office. Clever lad.
By PeterMa
Is there any firm news or update on this ? Considering closure was/is supposedly tomorrow ?
By PlaneStupid
Looks like it definitely is. Most of the pilots have moved on to Compton Abbas and there’s only a handful of aircraft left.

Grenville Hodge told the inspector that if planning was not granted, he would have no option but to considerably increase flying to raise revenue. Getting rid of the pilots seems a funny way of doing it!
By PlaneStupid
Tomshep - you clearly feel passionately about the current situation. Please could you PM me as I think we both may have some interesting comparisons and I have some information you might like to know.
By tomshep
Thank you, no. I see no advantage to anybody by doing so and I am not getting into anybody else's fight over a lost cause. The airfield will close tomorrow and will become for me a place of cherished memory. I think I shall leave it there.
By PlaneStupid
tomshep wrote:Thank you, no. I see no advantage to anybody by doing so and I am not getting into anybody else's fight over a lost cause. The airfield will close tomorrow and will become for me a place of cherished memory. I think I shall leave it there.

I quite understand and appreciate your reasons .

All the very best for the future and here’s to special memories.
So it's official NOTAM released 6pm Wednesday 30th Oct "Aerodrome Closed to all movements Starts 31st Oct 16.45 Z ; Finishes 29 Jan 2020 17:00 Z" Am I being over optimistic but does the NOTAM say it will re-open? According to GoSkydive on line booking calendar you can book a jump at OS from Feb 2020?
By patowalker
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
We complain about irrelevant NOTAM. Do we want the OS closure to be NOTAMed indefinitely? Three months is long enough.
By Tim Dawson
SkyDemon developer
I don’t think NOTAM can be issued for over three months. That’s enough time for the AIP to be permanently changed; in this case, presumably for OS to be removed from it and unlicensed.
GlynneRees wrote:So it's official NOTAM released 6pm Wednesday 30th Oct "Aerodrome Closed to all movements Starts 31st Oct 16.45 Z ; Finishes 29 Jan 2020 17:00 Z" Am I being over optimistic but does the NOTAM say it will re-open? According to GoSkydive on line booking calendar you can book a jump at OS from Feb 2020?

NOTAMs are only valid for 3 months max unless the end date is 'PERM'.
Must be a reason the originator hasn't put 'PERM' in this case.
Maybe they think they can re-open if they can't get PP for other use(s)? :pray: