Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By flybymike
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Some discussion on FB at the moment suggesting that Old Sarum is to close later this year.....
By TheFarmer
I can’t read that. Is there a link to a website?

I’m surprised it’s taken this long to be honest.

Is it another airfield closure because people want GA to be too cheap*, or has Persimmon managed to get in there?

* Sorry, but it’s our biggest issue as a fraternity IMHO.
By tomshep
No. The owners wanted a housing estate. 462 houses at £750,000 apiece on which the margins were too tight for any affordable housing. The planning appeal was thrown out after "Unreasonable conduct of the highest order" and this fit of pique is the retaliation. I had just stationed my new aircraft there last Sunday and this is the last straw so the Rans is on Afors and once it is sold, I shall walk away from flying and not look back.
By tomshep
Oh, and by the way, much of the letter is a pack of lies. There was next to no investment and there was no night flying until the lighting system was installed at a cost of under £6000 two years ago. (a piece of design and realisation of which I am very proud.)
This figure doesn't include the time and manpower put in by Old Sarum, to be fair.
There is a skydiving company, the Shadow centre and two flying schools as well as a decent number of aircraft hangared there. There is also a hangar in good condition for sale on the site that would certainly generate enough revenue to render the airfield handsomely profitable on its own as well as service its mortgage costs but it is clear that the owners would prefer to fence the airfield off and sell it to a land bank.
Last edited by tomshep on Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By TheFarmer
Genuinely sorry to hear that @tomshep.

Are you seriously stopping flying?

Please don’t. I did that once and I was utterly miserable. I then realised it was my wife who made me miserable so I walked away from her instead.

I’ve been fine ever since.

I’m sure MrsShep is great, but what I’m saying is don’t knee-jerk.

I’ll hangar your aircraft free for a few months if you need time to find another home for it. I also have a bit of a soft spot for tailwheel S6’s. They’re cool and capable little machines.
AshleyFlynn23, terryws, PeteSpencer and 13 others liked this
By tomshep
Farmer, that is a very generous offer and I thank you for it. (I had considered offering you one of my landings in support of your need for an exciting display but thought better of it!)
I have made my mind up though. I am getting much more aggravation than satisfaction from aviation. Flying is fun but everything around it has become hassle and heartache so it is time to stop.
By tomshep
Not housing, they cannot get planning permission. It is closing due to spite, make no mistake about that.
The badly damaged hangar referred to in the letter was making good hangarage revenue as well until a few months ago when it became almost impossible to open the door using a four wheel drive, despite years of total neglect. The condition had become too dangerous and it was shored up with scaffolding but full of holes in the roof.
By ChampChump
Whatever the background, it is sad news for a fine airfield.
By pullup
tomshep wrote:No. The owners wanted a housing estate. 462 houses at £750,000 apiece on which the margins were too tight for any affordable housing.

What they building ...Gin Palaces?
Turnip Pilot liked this
By tomshep
Nice area, Wiltshire countryside, close proximity to a Cathedral city. (Technically a Rotten Borough.) Lots of military staff coming back as well putting pressure on the housing stock.
By lobstaboy
tomshep wrote:Farmer, that is a very generous offer and I thank you for it. (I had considered offering you one of my landings in support of your need for an exciting display but thought better of it!)
I have made my mind up though. I am getting much more aggravation than satisfaction from aviation. Flying is fun but everything around it has become hassle and heartache so it is time to stop.

Please change your mind.
It's a very sorry tale but don't let the barstewards grind you down. What we do is so very special. Im sure The Farmer is right and that you will be miserable - I stopped once for a while and realised I couldn't not do it...
Turnip Pilot liked this
By AshleyFlynn23
tomshep wrote:Not housing, they cannot get planning permission. It is closing due to spite, make no mistake about that.

Ah sorry about that. I don't know the backstory to all of this so I took it at face value it was just another airfield closing to be built on.
What's the actual story then, out of interest?