Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Gertie
akg1486 wrote:
JoeC wrote:
chevvron wrote:Plagiarised from the 1957 film 'No Highway inthe Sky' I wonder?

Or the original 1948 novel :wink:

I've neither read/seen nor heard of that book/fillm.

Most of Nevil Shute is worth reading, albeit the books are very much of their time, and some "interesting" (by modern standards) political viewpoints are expressed.
kanga, Dominie liked this
By akg1486
Gertie wrote:Most of Nevil Shute is worth reading, albeit the books are very much of their time, and some "interesting" (by modern standards) political viewpoints are expressed.

I remember that my dad had a few Nevil Shute books in his fairly extensive paperback collection. Sadly, I think most of them were thrown away during his last move some 25 years ago. I'll ask him.
By chevvron
chevvron wrote:Then there was 'Cone of Silence' using the same theme in 1961 using an Avro Ashton research aircraft and part filmed at Filton.

Showing now on Freeview Ch 8, London Tx only so you 'oop norfers' won't see it. :mrgreen:
By A le Ron
I had “no highway” as a Christmas present a couple of years ago. Presumably still in print. Excellent. Shute flew at Sherburn around the war years.
By Rob L
A le Ron wrote:I had “no highway” as a Christmas present a couple of years ago. Presumably still in print. Excellent. Shute flew at Sherburn around the war years.
I'm a great reader of Shute. A pity he didn't live longer.

All of Nevil Shute's books are in print through Random House (Amazon is a good source) http://www.vintage-books.co.uk

Edit: Penguin: https://www.penguin.co.uk/search-result ... &tab=books
By Rob P
PaulB wrote:There's a documentary tonight (21:00 20/11/19) on the 737 Max issue on C4.

Nothing much new, some harrowing segments in a sim as two experienced captains try, and fail, to recover both aircraft

An ambulance chaser with a nice line in tears to order, and an amazingly self-possessed and fluent daughter of one of the victims.

Never any mention of the hasty rebranding.

I'd score it at five out of ten.

Rob P
Last edited by Rob P on Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By PaulB
Don't think it was aimed at us..... I hadn't realised that the Ethiopian crew had disabled the electric trim, but didn't do it quick enough - Boeing allowed 4 seconds, Is four seconds enough time to realise what's going on, working out what needs to be done and doing it?
By PeteSpencer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I thought it was a good programme:

In particular the two captains with 19,000 hours between them struggling to correct the runaway was spine chilling:

I got the sense of genuine terror in P1's voice as he hurtled helplessly towards the 'ground'.

Peter :(
By ozplane
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I thought it was a pretty good summary of the story so far. I was amazed at the speed of rotation of the trimmer when MCAS took over. Surely it would have broken you wrist if you'd touched it without locking out the MCAS.first?
By chevvron
A friend of mine who's a retired Easyjet A320 captain tells me the Max was an attempt by Boeing to emulate the Airbus FBW system but cutting corners as Boeing tend to.
Whereas the A320 had a 'triplex' failsafe system as standard (much like that pioneered on the Trident and Vulcan) whereby if a fault in the main system was detected by the backups, they could 'outvote' it and take over, the standard Max ony had a single backup; sure the customer could specify an 'extra' backup system but it would cost them several millions more on the basic price, so most customers declined this option.