Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By LD1Racing
I am newly qualified and currently happy with the non-equity club rental for the moment, but I would love to get into something a little faster, and dare I say it, more interesting. I should be past the 100hrs sticking point by the end of the year and plan adding my night/IR(R) ratings this winter so should be fairly insurable by then. The only problem is, there are very few, if any shares available anywhere near me. There is a definite North/South divide when it comes to aviation, whether that be choice of GA airfields, or aircraft shares. Being based in rural Northumberland certainly doesn't help matters I'll admit, but even extending my search to 1hr+ driving there is still essentially nothing 'better' than my current rental. There is an RV4 at Prestwick but that is a 3hr drive each way making even the shortest of flights an all-day proposition.

Do decent shares tend to be word of mouth? Is there a secret website somewhere or is there really just nothing at this end of the country?

I guess I better just pull my finger out and get my RV8 finished.
By kanga
LD1Racing wrote:.. there are very few, if any shares available anywhere near me. ... Being based in rural Northumberland ..

I guess I better just pull my finger out and get my RV8 finished.

As you're building, you are presumably in the national LAA, but are you in your local* Strut also ? Many Struts have newsletters with advertisements for shares offered/wanted. I got into a local syndicate (ironically, of 2 CofA aircraft) via word of mouth in mine (Gloster). Apologies if you knew all this.

*'North East', Fishburn ? 'East of Scotland' (East Fortune) ? Too far for you ?
By LD1Racing
Fishburn is less than an hour. I guess I should make time to get down there at some point. I did try once a few years back and just found the place empty despite it being advertised as 'active' on the LAA site.