Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By T67M
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Sooty25 wrote:
Tim Dawson wrote:What standard exactly is the CAA chart certified to?

there own! if it's wrong, they can't blame the pilot!

Oh yes they can! They publish frequent errata and updates to the chart, and I don't know a single pilot who applies them to their copy. Therefore it is the pilot's fault that the CAA chart is wrong. :?
Sooty25 wrote:Questions.

1. If visibility was so poor, why were gliders launching?

2. Is the use of moving map GPS now part of PPL training?

1. If visibility was so poor, why were gliders launcing
Days with a poor (low) cloudbase and poor (but still legal) visibility are really good days for training pilots who are just starting - apart from anything else the airfield is quiet.
When I was just starting out a number of my early training flights involved winch launches which were terminated at cloud base - God help anyone scud running who chose to fly over the airfield.

2. Is the use of moving map GPS now part of PPL training?
From AMC1 FCL.210.A PPL(A):
Exercise 18c: Radio navigation:
(A) use of GNSS:
(a) selection of waypoints;
(b) to or from indications and orientation;
(c) error messages.

OC619
@OpenCirrus619 yes it is, and unfortunately so many urban myths persist that’s it’s banned in PPL training etc which is just total hoop.

What (IMHO) we have to sort (and quickly) is integrating and permitting the use of GNSS into the skills test.

https://www.gasco.org.uk/flight-safety- ... ills_tests

When I read of prosecutions and use of moving maps being one of the key formally published observations, I get ever more upset to be honest...
@Bathman Having now seen the formally published comments on the Syerston infringement, I am comfortable publicly stating my view that to send a solo student cross country and deliberately denying them access to moving map GNSS capability is negligent.

We need to start exposing dinosaur attitudes in the training industry as socially unacceptable.