Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
A mid way point could be an App that had a "student" mode which has a blank display but wakes up if the student goes 5 miles off the track or is in danger of infringing. It would record the track for analysis and training. They would then have to do the exercise again.
JoeC wrote:
Sooty25 wrote:
1. If visibility was so poor, why were gliders launching?

Have you read the report?

low sun was affecting visibility to the west.

When I was flying gliders, we used to spend quite a bit of time going round in circles, either in or trying to catch thermals, you can't do that and avoid west!
Balliol wrote:@OpenCirrus619 yes it is, and unfortunately so many urban myths persist that’s it’s banned in PPL training etc which is just total hoop.

What (IMHO) we have to sort (and quickly) is integrating and permitting the use of GNSS into the skills test.

https://www.gasco.org.uk/flight-safety- ... ills_tests

When I read of prosecutions and use of moving maps being one of the key formally published observations, I get ever more upset to be honest...

Still not in NPPL Microlight syllabus at all and use allowed in NPPL SLMG nav test only once dead reckoning diversion completed, but not taught.

I guess installation of a tablet would make a quick game of Angry Birds possible on those longer legs though. :thumright:
Sooty25 wrote:
JoeC wrote:
Sooty25 wrote:
1. If visibility was so poor, why were gliders launching?

Have you read the report?

low sun was affecting visibility to the west.

When I was flying gliders, we used to spend quite a bit of time going round in circles, either in or trying to catch thermals, you can't do that and avoid west!

The RAF volunteer glider squadrons are highly experienced and wouldn’t launch in innaproppriate visibility. They are sticklers for SOPs. I think we’ve all flown when the sun is low to the west and understand the issue it can cause on a constant westerly heading or final approach. Not a persistent issue when circling or general handling. Syerston also has about a gazillion runway options for both take off and landing.

So to accuse the glider ops as being at fault for being in the air when the infringement occurred is a bit naff.
Sooty25 wrote:OFFS, I didn't say they were at fault, I only asked the bl00dy question why were they launching with poor viz.

Please just forget I even bothered asking. Good night.

Without being as prickly as you are I would think the obvious answer to the question you needn’t have bothered asking is that it is all part of the training.

I hope you are in a better mood after a good nights sleep :D
By G-BLEW
Boss Man  Boss Man
OK my tolerance for infringement threads of any flavour has been exhausted, so before I head to Oshkosh I'm calling an infringement thread stand down for a while.

If you really want or need to discuss infringements, if you are enraged at my heavy handed moderating or if you deeply resent me removing your right to relentlessly bang on, then I'm sure @peterh337 will welcome you over at https://www.euroga.org/ (other outlets such as FB, PPRuNe etc. are available).

Have fun and fly carefully out there

Ian