Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
I've been perusing the aide memoire (haven't got enough life left to read the AIC) and was wondering why the hold for 21 isn't RH. It would be much more straightforward (like 03) and would avoid the risk of low wing aircraft doing a RH turn to re-enter the hold after a missed approach.
Apart from the obvious risk of 50% of the pilots going the wrong way round, is there another reason?
I saw this in the LAA magazine today.

Honestly???

What is the point in creating something like this to encourage the pilots of quite literally hundreds of aircraft flying in close proximity around a lake, to follow their iPads. :shock:

It’s utter bonkers. This is exactly the stage in a flight when eyes should be peeled, not following some Janet & John mock-up of the AIC.

GA has finally gone mad.
In another thread I wrote-
I'll be at the Pitsford assembly area around 11.02 local on Friday 30th Aug. My plan is to navigate in VMC using see and be seen VFR.

I shan't need SkyDemon to see the reservoir.

Can I ask anyone who does, and has a slot around the same time, to look out for a large slow moving Stinson turning left in that area? :lol:

I agree it’s not a safe way of navigating.
TheFarmer liked this
TheFarmer wrote:What is the point in creating something like this to encourage the pilots of quite literally hundreds of aircraft flying in close proximity around a lake, to follow their iPads. This is exactly the stage in a flight when eyes should be peeled.

Spot on TF... :thumright:

By the time people are in proximity to make an approach then it should be visual waypoints only .

Use GPS to locate Pitsford Res. by all means , but once you've 'got it visual' , it should be eyes on the "artificial horizon" , that big old one on the outside that isn't artificial !

In years past [at Cranfield] it has always been by outside waypoints . e.g. Stewartby brickworks , Millbrook test track and report downwind over Moulsoe village ....etc

As TF says . Hundreds of aeroplanes in day/VFR all going for the same square inch of space ?........... :pale: :pale: :pale:
I’ve been to the Rally last 4 years. (Good VMC) Never had a problem, go to Pitsford join the hold if busy. I’ve never had to hold, the only slight hitch a couple of times with faster aircraft cutting in front, not having read the instructions.
There are never “hundreds of aircraft “ in the same bit of sky due to the slot system.
Never forget hearing one year “Exam 19 from xxxx to xxxx request Clearance through ATZ”.
Enjoy the event, the print out Aide Memoir is all you really need.
mick w, ivor.phillips liked this
That's my experience too. Never seen more aircraft than there are in a busy circuit at Headcorn.

I remember Exam19! I expect he's probably doing Exam34 by now. But it does absolutely stagger me how many people arrive apparently without having read the instructions at all.