Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By mick w
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
TheFarmer wrote:Nor am I now.

Oh come on Mr Farmer , it's just a flippin guide for god's sake , an occasional glance is all that's required , will the Aircraft not on the Magenta , not be following the procedure ?.
I'm not surprised you've scared yourself into not going !!. :wink:
By James Chan
I quite like the magenta diagram, a picture speaks 1000 words as they say.

The issue for me is the combination of specially modified radio transmission rules, the limitations of see-and-avoid, different aircraft speeds, the intensity of arriving traffic, and people getting it wrong, such as descending out of cloud, flying the hold the wrong way, didn't quite know where the hold was so flew it at an offset (this magenta line helps :D), and when to use the hold and when to leave it, and people cutting others up.

Having had these slightly uncomfortable encounters about 5-6 years ago, I decided I won't be flying into any busy event, particularly one that involves a hold, unless there exists good ATC to properly manage the stack / arrival sequence.
By tnowak
I am not really sure how the "no overtaking" rule is going to work.
My vintage Piper cruises at 74 Kts but RVs and many others go quite a bit faster..

I don't really want to do a Vne hold and approach! 74 Kt is still not fast enough for an RV behind me...
By TopCat
tnowak wrote:I am not really sure how the "no overtaking" rule is going to work.
My vintage Piper cruises at 74 Kts but RVs and many others go quite a bit faster..

I don't really want to do a Vne hold and approach! 74 Kt is still not fast enough for an RV behind me...

I've never flown an RV but a little googling reveals stall speeds around 50 knots for the RV8 and even less for the RV4.

Hopefully there aren't too many RV pilots incapable of flying at 74 knots without losing control of their aeroplane. How high is the nose at 1.4 Vs with flaps down? Can you still see over it in level flight?
Last edited by TopCat on Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Paul_Sengupta
TheFarmer wrote:What IS the red biplane thing?

It was a big thing on one of the facebook groups for a while.

Apparently a red biplane landed at the start of the hard and then had to taxi (which it did, slowly) right down to the other end of the runway to get off, as per published procedures, as arrivals were happening on the grass. This caused the owner of (IIRC) a TB20 to go around, back into the Pitsford hold. The TB20 pilot had a rant about it on the Facebook group about how inconsiderate the red biplane's pilot had been, etc.

A lot of people took the mick for quite some time.
Last edited by Paul_Sengupta on Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Has the Pittsford Hold become too frightening and does it put off pilots from visiting (especially those with a treasured homebuilt)?

Flew into Duxford last weekend (okay not the volumes but neither was there a 36 page leaflet) but a busy circuit was well managed by a flight information service. The use of call before turning base was helpful so that downwinds could be extended to provide separation on finals No overhead joins; only downwind and instructions to hold clear of circuit at busy times to manage the flow. It all worked well and we had good radio awareness of other traffic's positions. Oh yes and regarding speeds there were spitfires and flexwings flying the same circuit too. It would be interesting to know their movement rate as a comparison to LAA Sywell.
I’ve been in the PFA/LAA since 1976 and apart for a couple of years, when there were no events, the whole shebang has run as smooth as silk. Every year we have the same girning about joining procedures. Joining pilots do get frustrated by others who want the whole world to know who they are, where they are, what they are going to do, leading to those in critical stages of joining not getting a word in edgeways. The principle is KISS.
Smaragd, kanga liked this