Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
Taking into account Mr Bouchet’s guilty plea and the fact that it had taken some time for the matter to come to Court, Assistant Magistrate Peter Harris imposed a fine of £2,000

As aviation-related disciplinary action lies outside the Court's authority, the CAA will now have to make any further decisions regarding Mr Bouchet's licence or whether he needs to undergo any further training following his aviation law breach.

There aren’t too many prosecutions for landing in fog...... but sadly there was one in Jersey yesterday;

https://www.bailiwickexpress.com/jsy/news/pilot-fined-foggy-landing/#.XSgs0yXTXDs

His advocate is also a PPL.
In these situations the view from the tower could be significantly different to the view from the cockpit. What happened to the captain’s right to do whatever necessary for the safety of a flight?
I cannot say what the exact RVR was..... but I was on an Airbus that diverted back to LGW and unable to approach as it was below 450m and they couldn’t even utilise the LTS Cat1.

I guess the main learning point is to divert!

She (His advocate) explained that the reason he didn’t attempt to land in either Alderney or France was because he wasn’t “as familiar with those airfields” and there was a chance of him being turned away by French Air Traffic Control due to them not recognising a rating system used on UK pilot licences.
Flyingfemme wrote:In these situations the view from the tower could be significantly different to the view from the cockpit. What happened to the captain’s right to do whatever necessary for the safety of a flight?

Since when did the view from the tower have anything to do with IRVR readings?

Indeed, we have an LVP status that represents that the Tower cab can be in cloud yet the pilots can avoid collisions themselves as the surface visibility is better.
Flyin'Dutch', 2Donkeys liked this
AlanM wrote:I cannot say what the exact RVR was..... but I was on an Airbus that diverted back to LGW and unable to approach as it was below 450m and they couldn’t even utilise the LTS Cat1.

I guess the main learning point is to divert!

She (His advocate) explained that the reason he didn’t attempt to land in either Alderney or France was because he wasn’t “as familiar with those airfields” and there was a chance of him being turned away by French Air Traffic Control due to them not recognising a rating system used on UK pilot licences.

OK,so the pilot had an IMCR/IRR rather than an Instrument Rating.

I think paying the 2k is a very good deal considering the other possible outcomes for doing an Instrument Approach in conditions which lead professional pilots to divert.
Lockhaven liked this
If I could see the runway, I would have done the same. If I read it rightly it was a “land at your discretion” situation. If the request had been denied I would then ask that all emergency services be alerted for my eventual crash landing !!
Flyingfemme liked this
Bill McCarthy wrote:If I could see the runway, I would have done the same. If I read it rightly it was a “land at your discretion” situation. If the request had been denied I would then ask that all emergency services be alerted for my eventual crash landing !!

So you would elect to COMMENCE an approach knowing it is below your legal minima? (With enough fuel to divert to another local airfield inside the zone that was open and available)

I hear what you are saying IF the IRVR dropped at (say) 2d and you elected to continue.
Last edited by AlanM on Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IMO the non-recognition of the UK IMC rating in France is a non-issue in this situation : nobody on the radio is going to ask you anyway.

Just get on the ground....
AlanM liked this
Bill McCarthy wrote:If I could see the runway, I would have done the same. If I read it rightly it was a “land at your discretion” situation. If the request had been denied I would then ask that all emergency services be alerted for my eventual crash landing !!

Not a ‘land at your discretion’ moment at all. The aircraft was cleared to land in LVPs.

It was more of a ‘I have no ATC reason to stop you commencing the approach’ moment. Exactly as it should be.

(Or maybe we should go back to Absolute Minima and the phrase that we learnt “Commencing your approach below absolute minima will contravene UK legislation and I an compelled to report this to the UK CAA”)
I would be interested in views on the 'dependability' of RVR measurements in different types of low visibility.
At one end of the spectrum there's proper low cloud blending into pea soup fog .... at the other end of the spectrum there's low level fog banks drifting through with clear skies above. Both can give similar RVR readings, but in the case of the latter it's not uncommon for the runway lighting and airfield features to be visible several miles out, even with a quoted RVR well below 1000m (from my limited experience in my days on the jump seat, I've no idea what the situation was here)
It's hard to say how steep £2k is because we don't know his weekly income.
(I'm assuming Jersey has a similar judicial system to the UK, and the laws are similar)

But thank goodness he's alive and hasn't crashed into something.
AlanM liked this
A couple of years ago five very nice 3 axis microlights from the continent arrived overhead Wick, in a dense haar. We could hear them overhead at the hangar. Ten minutes later they all taxied to the hangar doors. They landed on a disused runway on GPS only - they had no divert airfield, and if you are not familiar with that variety of fog, it can cut you off in seconds.
Now, that was a risk I would NOT take. In the above instance (the OP) he saw the runway, was obviously very familiar with surrounding terrain and obstacles and went for it. No one was hurt I believe.