Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By defcribed
xlr8tr wrote:Interested to know why you wouldn’t contact Shawbury LARS and use their service and QNH.

That's also an option, but their QNH will Prob99.99 be the same as that at Sleap and from the very start one is heading away from that area. I don't know how soon Shawbury would dump you, but if they'll work you for any considerable amount of time while heading south then the service (traffic, not basic) is worth having.
By xlr8tr
defcribed wrote:
xlr8tr wrote:Interested to know why you wouldn’t contact Shawbury LARS and use their service and QNH.

That's also an option, but their QNH will Prob99.99 be the same as that at Sleap and from the very start one is heading away from that area. I don't know how soon Shawbury would dump you, but if they'll work you for any considerable amount of time while heading south then the service (traffic, not basic) is worth having.

Shawbury will look after you until you reach the Brize LARS and for the route in question that would look after you for the rest of the flight to Kemble. I’ve only ever spoken Gloucester when transiting above their zone if the LARS service has suggested to do so because of traffic in the hold.
By johnm
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
LARS coverage from the military at weekends is a bit of a lottery so probably wise to have a plan that doesn't feature it under those conditions. During the week a very different story.
By skydriller
Just read this thread about the various options on "who to talk to and why" over a short simple flight then tell me why there are infringement issues in the UK. In other European countries this conversation just wouldnt happen.

Regards, SD..
defcribed, scd975, Charliesixtysix and 5 others liked this
By imperialsam
I once got a mild telling off by Brize for routing through Gloucester's overhead at FL65 without calling them. I didn't really think it was necessary to do so: I had a traffic service and assumed Brize would have called out any similar level traffic in the hold (there wasn't any). It was also a beautiful cloudless day with miles of visibility, so no problems with being able to see and avoid.
By James Chan
Well there are limitations of see-and-avoid, but it should be down to Brize and Gloucester to co-ordinate and transfer you if needed, especially when you're on a TS.

Sounds like some knee-jerk reaction from un-joined up thinking, and part of the kick being passed on to you.
johnm liked this
By defcribed
Just sounds like enormous overstepping of the mark to me. Crossing Gloucester at FL65 there's no requirement to be talking to anyone at all.
By kanga
defcribed wrote:Just sounds like enormous overstepping of the mark to me. Crossing Gloucester at FL65 there's no requirement to be talking to anyone at all.

I agree, no need, but a courtesy. And listening to the ATIS may yield useful information
johnm liked this
By gnulty
Hi all,

Many thanks for the responses despite the thread drift.

As it turned out the weather was pants and in the end at the last minute I elected to fly to Tatenhill instead.

The flight there was uneventful however the return leg was constant dodging of heavy rain showers. If it wasn’t for SkyDemon to enhance situational awareness I would have probably elected to return to Tatenhill. Great experience.

Cheers all.
johnm liked this