Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By gnulty
Tomorrow weather permitting I am planning to fly Sleap to Kemble.

I am looking for any advice regarding the best way to transit the Gloucester area. I think they will be using the westerly runways however I don’t want to find my self getting in the way of their jet traffic if they have any due in.

Would you route to the west/east or through their overhead?

Advice appreciated from a low time ppl

Graham
By defcribed
I'd just route direct which takes you almost overhead - slightly west of the field.

One of the many advantages of flying a bit higher than is common in PPL training is that an ATZ is no longer an obstacle.

It would be prudent to call Gloucester on the radio in case they have any instrument traffic in the hold. If that is the case they'll advise you of levels and help you choose a sensible level to transit at. It is uncontrolled airspace though, so they cannot insist on a particular routing or level and you don't need their permission. Assuming weather allows you to be at a sensible height (3,000ft plus), tell them what you are doing rather than asking for permission. You would be within your rights to transit above the ATZ without talking to them at all but I don't think it would be very wise. Besides, RT practice is always good for a low-timer.

Hope that helps.
johnm, kanga, Lockhaven liked this
By johnm
The hold is to the west of the airport and approaches from the East when 27 in use. Therefore there could be traffic in the hold in 1000 ft steps from about 3000ft up wards.

I'd take your direct track at 3500 ft and call Gloucester at about 10 miles away on 128.555 they don't have radar and can be quite busy but will be grateful for you calling and becoming known traffic.

If you have a transponder the jets will see you on TCAS too.
defcribed liked this
By tnowak
If it helps, I flew from Welshpool to Popham last Sunday and my routing took me a few miles to the west of the Gloucester ATZ. I simply called then with my details and they just asked me to report abeam the airfield.
Tony
By kanga
johnm wrote:.. call Gloucester at about 10 miles away on 128.555 ...

.. having first checked on the ATIS (127.480) that that (the usual) is the APP frequency in use. On first call mention that you have 'Information x'. But I'm sure you'd do that anyway. Oh, and you may even hear on the ATIS that there is ATC training on the APP frequency; in my experience the trainees are very good, and like the practice in dealing with passing traffic.
johnm liked this
By xlr8tr
kanga wrote:
johnm wrote:.. call Gloucester at about 10 miles away on 128.555 ...

.. having first checked on the ATIS (127.480) that that (the usual) is the APP frequency in use. On first call mention that you have 'Information x'. But I'm sure you'd do that anyway. Oh, and you may even hear on the ATIS that there is ATC training on the APP frequency; in my experience the trainees are very good, and like the practice in dealing with passing traffic.

Please do tell why you think it necessary to listen to the atis of, and include that information on first contact, of an airfield who’s airspace you’re not transiting and are calling out of courtesy. Unless the weather is marginal and you’re looking for possible diversions/ building a mental model then I’d be interested to hear your thought process for this advice.
Boxkite liked this
By johnm
@xlr8tr Having the ATIS might save a few precious seconds on the radio, and allow you establish your level on the local QNH in advance, but it's not essential which is why I didn't mention it.
By xlr8tr
johnm wrote:@xlr8tr Having the ATIS might save a few precious seconds on the radio, and allow you establish your level on the local QNH in advance, but it's not essential which is why I didn't mention it.

You should be on the regional QNH from a LARS (usually) and as you are not transiting their zone, merely calling out of courtesy, then that is what you should stay on. The controller will pass the QNH in the initial exchange anyway so whilst it may be nice to listen to the atis it certainly isn’t a requirement as Kanga implied.
By johnm
xlr8tr wrote:
johnm wrote:@xlr8tr Having the ATIS might save a few precious seconds on the radio, and allow you establish your level on the local QNH in advance, but it's not essential which is why I didn't mention it.

You should be on the regional QNH from a LARS (usually) and as you are not transiting their zone, merely calling out of courtesy, then that is what you should stay on. The controller will pass the QNH in the initial exchange anyway so whilst it may be nice to listen to the atis it certainly isn’t a requirement.

Nobody in their right mind uses RPS, nearest aerodrome is the thing to go for.
Tim Dawson, Charles Hunt, Talkdownman and 4 others liked this
By xlr8tr
johnm wrote:
xlr8tr wrote:

You should be on the regional QNH from a LARS (usually) and as you are not transiting their zone, merely calling out of courtesy, then that is what you should stay on. The controller will pass the QNH in the initial exchange anyway so whilst it may be nice to listen to the atis it certainly isn’t a requirement.

So LARS pass you the QNH for their region but you change it to match the QNH of every airfield you fly past?
By defcribed
johnm wrote:Nobody in their right mind uses RPS, nearest aerodrome is the thing to go for.

Hear, hear.

Take the QNH you get from Sleap and hang onto that until you get a new one from the Gloucester ATIS.

There is absolutely no point in turning your altimeter down by 3-4mb for the middle section of that route.
FrankS, Nick liked this
By xlr8tr
defcribed wrote:
johnm wrote:Nobody in their right mind uses RPS, nearest aerodrome is the thing to go for.

Hear, hear.

Take the QNH you get from Sleap and hang onto that until you get a new one from the Gloucester ATIS.

There is absolutely no point in turning your altimeter down by 3-4mb for the middle section of that route.

Interested to know why you wouldn’t contact Shawbury LARS and use their service and QNH.
By johnm
xlr8tr wrote:
johnm wrote:
xlr8tr wrote:

So LARS pass you the QNH for their region but you change it to match the QNH of every airfield you fly past?

No, on a trip from the channel islands I'll take Jersey then Bournemouth then possibly Bristol then Gloucester they may well give the Portland and Cotswold, but I'll ignore that because I want the QNH of the people I'm talking to not some random number from some antediluvian system.
By xlr8tr
johnm wrote:
xlr8tr wrote:
johnm wrote:

No, on a trip from the channel islands I'll take Jersey then Bournemouth then possibly Bristol then Gloucester they may well give the Portland and Cotswold, but I'll ignore that because I want the QNH of the people I'm talking to not some random number from some antediluvian system.

John I think we’re talking at cross purposes here, I’m referring to using a LARS service (the people you’re talking to) and the QNH for their region/airspace as opposed to the regional QNH - looking back I can see how that wouldn’t be clear from my previous post.
Last edited by xlr8tr on Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
johnm liked this