Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
As per the title, is it possible to request an ICAO for a non licensed ZZZZ airfield and if so where's the best place to start looking and are there costs involved in having one?. I've had a look on the CAA website but have been unable to find anything so far.
Yes you can but the UK CAA who is responsible for doling them out does not issue them to non-licensed aerodromes as I understand it, those who obtained it in the past keep them.
That link will likely expire soon - go here and find the document under 2015.

The bit you need is:

2 Location Indicators

2.1 ICAO four-letter Location Indicators are primarily formulated and assigned to identify those geographical locations at which there is situated a station forming part of the Aeronautical Fixed Service (AFS) and assist in the processing of aeronautical messages. The number of codes available to the UK is finite, therefore separate Location Indicators will not be assigned to different units at one geographical location where the appropriate use of three-letter agency designators will adequately cover the need.

2.2 Requests for the assignment of a Location Indicator will be assessed in relation to the benefits to, and impact on, the message and data handling system and its users. Location Indicators will generally be assigned only to civil licensed or unlicensed aerodromes, Government aerodromes and certain meteorological reporting stations served by the AFS. Under current arrangements, ballooning, gliding and microlight sites, farm and private landing strips will not normally be considered eligible for the assignment of a Location Indicator. However, the assignment of Location Indicators to geographical locations other than those served by the AFS may, in exceptional circumstances, be approved at the discretion of SARG.

Further down gives the details on how to apply and there is an application form at the end.
SimonM liked this
In the old days one could get location indicators for operators and MROs (maintenance and repair organisations) etc by adding a two- or four-letter suffix to the location e.g. EGLLBAOP and EGGWBY etc. (I can't remember the actual encoding system). It's useful for flight plans.

Is that still possible?
Presumably the restriction is a hangover from UK only using EG** combinations, probably around 600 odd of which might be available after a few unsuitable ones might be deemed not acceptable for release.

The geographical distribution of ICAO allocations by leading letter might appear as the image below (caution, just an image found on the internet, not researched at all...).

It might be reasonable to assume that there are many E*** combinations in northern Europe that will not have been allocated and could be made available in this era of electrons rather than human recognition of the second (or even third?) letter region 'identifiers'.

Example: A quick look comes up with EGA* combinations seemingly allocated in Northern Ireland region only and only 6 of 26 possible identifiers allocated.

SimonM liked this
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:Yes you can but the UK CAA who is responsible for doling them out does not issue them to non-licensed aerodromes as I understand it, those who obtained it in the past keep them.

Unlicensed aerodromes can get them; EGMT Thurrock was issued about 10 years ago.
I mentioned it to the owner who was flying in there; he said 'I wish they'd told me'.!
I'd seen it NOTAMMed.
Last edited by chevvron on Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
SimonM liked this
SimonM wrote:Thanks for the replies, I can't find the AIC Y 072/2015 document with google, do you have a link and can you remember if there was a cost involved?

Google is an excellent choice when you want aeronautical information, may I suggest that the Aeronautical Information Service may be better.
UK Indicators starting with EG show how the original Aeronautical Fixed Telecommunications Network was established when communication was by fixed Telex machine.
Northern Ireland is all EGA as EGAA is for Aldergrove and the primary node. In Scotland they originally were EGP series being for Prestwick (EGPK) Renfrew(EGPF) Turnhouse (EGPH) Dyce (EGPD) Stornoway (EGPO) Barra (EGPR) etc.
After AA we have BB for Birmingham, CC for Manchester FF for Cardiff and so on. The EGN series includes obvious ones in the north of England including NC for Carlisle, NS for Ronaldsway and NT for Woolsington. The EGR series is for Weather Offices.
I am sure others can ascertain further patterns in code assignment.